First version of fk / ik blend...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2005   #1
First version of fk / ik blend...

Heya Folks,

I've done an fk / ik switching system based on constraints and wanted to get peoples feedback on it - it's a standard slider on a spline type thing where the slider blends both opacity and orientation constraints. Also when the arm is in fk mode, the IK tracks it to make it easier to get it into the correct place for when the transition has to happen - Anyone any thoughts on it?

http://www.joconnell.com/rigging/ik_fk_arm_02.max

Ideally I'd like to get feedback on how well the transition works and also how it works visually - whether it can be made any clearer. This one seems to work functionality wise but again it's a first go.

Cheers!

John

Old 03 March 2005   #2
Taking a look...

edit:

Dammit, dont have 7. :(

eek

Last edited by eek : 03 March 2005 at 02:28 PM.

Old 03 March 2005   #3
hi john,
just had a quick look so i didnt rip it apart or anything ---
first thing i would do is dump the blue hand thing and put the CA's on the Ik Controller and on the fk bones or there controller objects (you dont have any in this version) the need to select the blue controller while animating to switch would be annoying for me- it makes more sense to me to have it on the objects it affects.

just one other thing you have the ik arm chain also match the fk arm when you blend between the two ...why? it makes it difficult to see where the arm will go when going from fk to ik. it would probably make more sense to have them keep their repective places until you use a matching script ect...

mark

Old 03 March 2005   #4
Heya mark - Good point about the ik switch object - I've also got a control object for finger controls so I'll move it into there first - The reason for the ik tracking the fk is to make it easy to do a 1 frame flick between ik and fk if you want it - so you can animate the fk arm into a settling position and then switch to ik without it popping - some ik snap setups don't play nice because of the ik plane solver. But yeah I take the point - it should really be more down to the animator to animate the fk move flowing into the ik move type of thing...

Again it's the first ik / fk setup being done for here since it's been character studio all along for everything else.

Another person did a setup with two sets of bones rather than 3, where the ik bone does the skinning and is driven by two sets of controls - one set of true ik controls and another that are linked to the fk arm so it's kind of like the ik arm is launched off the fk arm.

I've done a script that tracks one set of bones to another which is fine but again I thought it might be nice to have the option of a slider so you can ramp between the two

P.s. Eek it's 5.1 but the custom attributes seem to mess up if you open them in 6 for some reason :/ - How do you generally do your fk / ik?

Old 03 March 2005   #5
Ah ok Jo.

Umm well i have 3 setups and im working on a pseudo E-IK, (elbow ik) setup, but thats in research atm. Ive have the normal ik-fk blender, its nice but i get annoyed about blending back and forth. I have a seamless snap system, works like a charm even the gui switches seamlessly - great if your doing a few changes. The third is a script based setup called "Match-2", its the easiest by far and works very well, basically generally i animate in FK and only use ik when needed, pinning etc, leaning. So basically i have two chains, fk (the mesh skinned to) and an ik that invisble till you need it. The system basically tracks through time the fk to the ik, i.e you animate the ik when you want the match the fk to it and vice versa , you can set the start end points, interpolation of keys etc. eg fk move arm to table. [match ik to fk on 1 frame] animate ik pinned or whatever, then match fk to it. You dont even have to match all the frames, etc etc.

Very nice aproach, basically ik when you need it.

eek

p.s hey get on MSN. I made a teaser reel of my stuff.

Old 03 March 2005   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread