How to control point on spline's rotation with a null?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2005
How to control point on spline's rotation with a null?

Does anyone know if there is a way to control a bezier handle of a point on a spline with a null? Control its position and rotation?

02 February 2005
Question

Hi danb,

i did not really get the point of your question, but i would be really interested to get it, because i am currently working on the implementation of the NURBS-Spline PlugIn.

You are creating a bezier spline and want to get control of a certain point on it? Besides of the handles?
You want to move rotate the point / spline /Handle?

a spline with a null? what does the Null represent?

Peter K.

02 February 2005
Hi developer, thanks for your reply. I have attached a pic to show what i mean. I want to control the bezier handle in the pic (pink handle) with a null for animation. So that i don't have to jump back and forth to PLA. It would give great control to this rig and make it 10X more efficient for animation. Because i could just animate the null.

I hope this makes more sense.

02 February 2005
without delving into coffee you would probably find it much easier to change the spline type to b-spline and treat every third point as a control point and the inbetween points as handles. then simply use xpresso to drive the second point from the end with a nulls position.

02 February 2005
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie: without delving into coffee you would probably find it much easier to change the spline type to b-spline and treat every third point as a control point and the inbetween points as handles. then simply use xpresso to drive the second point from the end with a nulls position.

Ah ha. Thats just as clever. I had something along those lines but i wasn't using the inbetween points at all. I guess that would be just about the same amount of work as if i was going to attach each bezier handle to a null.

Thanks mdme_sadie. Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees.

02 February 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread