Mike's Demo Work

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2005   #1
Mike's Demo Work (Help Please)

Alrighty... so I'm graduating soon and need some opinions on some of this stuff so I get it out the door and get hired by a bad @$$ company

Here is some stuff I put out last quarter, I got a run, jump, and some acting done... but I'm working on a story right now... so check out what I have and leave some crits... Thanks

Run
Jump
Acting

Last edited by SkyePhelps : 02 February 2005 at 07:53 PM.

Old 02 February 2005   #2
Here is the mouse that I modeled for a story that I'm currently working on for my Demo Reel... lots and lots of work to go...

Old 02 February 2005   #3
Here are some skinning tests, I'm currently skinning this character and hope to have some more work up soon... I'm considering the legs done for now, unless someone sees something that needs to be changed... this is my first character to skin, so I'm hoping for some crits on this... I know I'm going to be needing it... thanks in advance

Leg Test 01

Leg Test 02

Leg Test 03

Old 02 February 2005   #4
Alrighty... I'm looking for some help here... I have finished skinning the leg, and want to mirror it to the other side, so I don't have to reskin the other side. Now everything appears to go fine, until I try mirroring it, when I follow the steps and click Paste Blue to Green Bone, or Paste Green to Blue Verts, the wrong verts get pasted, and those verts that I'm copying from get affected also... You can see in the image how not all the verts are pasted to the other side. Plus If I click on the bone that is supposed to be mirrored to, it is now controlling parts of the leg it is being mirrored from. If anyone know anything please help... or I'm going to have to skin the other leg all by itself to

Old 03 March 2005   #5
Ok... I finished the initial skinning of Max, and did a quick walk cycle in less than an hour... I know it looks bad, but I wanted to see how the skin was doing...

There are a couple things I've seen that I need to fix, but I'm always open to yalls opinions in case yall find anything you find that I've not seen yet, I'll be fixing this tonight, so enjoy till then

Test Walk 01

Last edited by SkyePhelps : 03 March 2005 at 11:10 PM.

Old 03 March 2005   #6
Hey, there seems to bee something wrong with the area between the tail and his leg, everything else is coming together nicely, ow and i dunno if you solved the mirroring problem but increasing the mirror threshold might help
Matt

Old 03 March 2005   #7
Yeah thanks, I've got the mirroring fix, still not sure exactly what was wrong with it but oh well... I'm dieing to work on the walk some more, but I'm stuck working right now, and have another project due Monday, ugh... school, never lets you do what you want to

Thanks for the input on the tail, I kinda noticed that to... I'll see what I can do about it, feel free to give more c & c.

Old 03 March 2005   #8
Hey everyone, I'm going to be texturing this guy next week, and I really don't have an idea of what to do for his texture, I'm not used to the mouse texture thing, lol... mostly done goblins and buildings and stuff, so please please pleaseeee.... help me, throw me some ideas and all that good stuff...

Thanks in advance

Old 03 March 2005   #9
Playing with some color ideas... not sure how much I like this one yet though, I want to try giving him some fur texture, but I don't want it overdone or anything, cause I'm not going to have alot of time to work on it, and I don't want to see it streching all over the place, let me know if you guys have any ideas

Old 03 March 2005   #10
Very good!

I am no expert at all but I think that your work is totally cool!

Any tips for someone just starting out?? PM me if you can..

Thanks

Shop Online Here!

Old 03 March 2005   #11
The easiest way to fake fur is making a fallof material. In both subslots use a stretched noise map. Make shure that the fallof map is set to parralel. Make the noise map that is visible on the edge lighter than the one inside. This gives your shader a furry look. You might add anistrophy for a nice shine.
Ive made a little example, its quick but shows the effect. You should add some small hairs here and there to make it look more real.
I hope this works for your model, good luck with it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fur.jpg (12.8 KB, 40 views)

Old 03 March 2005   #12
Droidoz

uh... I have no idea what you're talking about dude, lol... it seems like a foreign language to me at the moment, and I've done texture before, lol... I'm working in Max right now, and none of what you just said sounds familiar at all, maybe you can help me out a little bit more, thanks dude...

Old 03 March 2005   #13
hehe sorry, ill explain a little more. In a new standard anistrophic material, take a fallof map as diffuse. Um maybe a picture of the material tree will help....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fur.jpg (78.0 KB, 23 views)

Old 03 March 2005   #14
Ok... I think I get what you're saying now, I'll have to check that out later tonight and see if I can pull it off... I can't do it quite right now, I have to finish my print portfolio before 2, so I've got a bit of work to get done, lol... Thanks alot

Old 03 March 2005   #15
Looking good

Looking good mike. Post a pic of your story board.

Thread Closed share thread