Old 02-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
glassefx
Father of Knox...

Mark
Observationalist
Tennessee, USA

Send a message via AIM to glassefx
Question Where's "Jack?"

I used an older version of Houdini a few years back (v 3.5beta) and during modeling functions a user could take advantage of an "axis of influence" that was called the jack... I've been using Apprentice 7 for a few days and I miss it! He also printed out a nice "cheat-sheet" that had little pix of a 3-button mouse with the corresponding key "blacked" and the command next to it... I remember everything being CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, mouse button combos and this new houdini seems to have done-way with this sheet and methodology.

I printed out the cheet sheets on the SideEFX website and its helpful but I just want raw key/mouse combos instead of supposed methodologies listed next to an associated command...

Make sense? Where could one find a nice sheet like this?

You know the jack could be hidding or called something else now? I would'nt put it past me to have missed it - I'd be REAL easy... Houdini's expanses never stop dumb-founding me.

I'm also curious to see how many people are apprenticing right now?

Also, any Houdini-Head know of any advantages/disadvantages of 6.5 compared to 7 or REVERSE.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
dantea
Expert

Hmm ... I guess you could try also asking on the forums on www.odforce.net. The old model sop is gone, the functionality split into various SOPs. Try the polygon subd modelling video tutorial that sorta gives more of how the new modelling tools work:
http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/ho...ling/index.html

Old 02-16-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
glassefx
Father of Knox...

Mark
Observationalist
Tennessee, USA

Again Dantea Thanx! Waste of precious bits but this folder could use some "filler." Maybe then We'll see some activity here...

Old 02-17-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
arctor
so tired...

------------------------
Senior Technical Director
Side Effects
Toronto, Canada

yeah...CGTALK isn't really the place for Houdini talk - od[force] and the SESI forums are for that...
there are lots of people using the Apprentice version right now..more each day...
as for the 6.5 vs 7:
go with 7 - no point in using 6.5 when 7 is available, plus there are some new cool things in 7...

Old 02-17-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
glassefx
Father of Knox...

Mark
Observationalist
Tennessee, USA

Thanx Arctor!

Old 02-18-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
MG
non-conformist

Marco G.
student
Leiden, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassefx
Also, any Houdini-Head know of any advantages/disadvantages of 6.5 compared to 7 or REVERSE.

Not really, I've been using 5.5 for a long time and I wouldn't know where a good comparison/change log is or if it exists at all, but here's a feature list of Houdini 7.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassefx
Again Dantea Thanx! Waste of precious bits but this folder could use some "filler." Maybe then We'll see some activity here...

I hope this forum stays up though. In the future I will definately contribute a lot more, it's just that I'm quite busy at the moment...

Old 02-21-2005, 04:19 AM   #7
jiversen
Veteran

Hi glasseffex,

Well, the more the merrier I say. I think that just having the forums gives Houdini a little exposure, although the activity doesn't exactly deafen one over here

You'll find so much more flexbillity among the Handles in H7 - they far outshine the old Transform Jack of v4-. Simply speaking, the Edit SOP does a lot of the simple moving-stuff-about very nicely. You could watch the modeling videos Side Effects produced a while back for version 5. A lot has been added since then but they haven't updated the videos for a long while.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread