About primatte and masks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2005
About primatte and masks

Hi,

I'm doing a bit of keying at the moment and there are a few not so good shots of which I need to extract the actors from. I put a mask to the footage that only includes the actors and a bit of extra space and then used primatte to take out the blue.

Now, this results that I have a black rectangle surrounding the mask shape (in the output of primatte that is). So, I put the same mask to primatte as well. This gets rid of the black box but now I get artifacts along the edge of the rotoshape.

I've tried to mess with the soft edge (tryuing to remove it that is) but I do not seem to get this work for some reason. Any help from you pros?

02 February 2005
well...when green/blue screen is not that good, i follow following steps:
if it is a NTSC video, the color output is 4:1:1, i take it to finalcut pro and export it as uncompressed 8bit 4:2:2, that way get more information about blue/green along the edge...if u dont have finalcut, ignore this step

now in shake, before matting, put a blur node and blur only the b(or green), instead of default rgba, that way it will smoothout the blue edge.

then matte it, but dont put backgroun now

give a final touch with with bluring the alpha now(blur node, this time only a)

put the background with a under node

it should work now

best of luck

02 February 2005
Solved.

Hello again.

It seems I'm a bit bad with explaining things. And being a bit impatient. So, the answer to myself: Either put up constrast a great deal, multiple thousand percents like I did, or be smart and use the Inside node. That get's rid of the jagged edge on rotoshape. One more option is to invert the rotoshape and put it to Primattes garbage-matte input.

Sorry about the double posts, I put this reply to both of them just in case somebody else ever reads and ponders those things.

Edit: Thanks for the reply still. Even if I did not try it out and it seemed to answer another question about keying, my thanks about trying to help out.

02 February 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread