Old 09-12-2002, 01:24 PM   #1
Leonard
Jedi Master

portfolio
Leonard Teo
Montreal, Canada

Alias|Wavefront Ships Maya 4.5

Alias|Wavefront Ships Maya 4.5

Innovative Fluid Effects, Increased Geometry Flexibility, Substantial Enhancements for Gamers and Version Parity with Mac OS X Top the List of Outstanding Developments in New Release

Toronto, Canada – September 12, 2002 - Alias|Wavefront™, an SGI (NYSE: SGI) company, announced today that the highly anticipated Maya® 4.5 3D software for Windows®, IRIX® and Linux® operating systems is now shipping. Maya Complete™ 4.5 for Mac® OS X operating system will ship on September 23rd. Maya 4.5 boasts a number of major technological developments such as Maya Fluid Effects™ and modeling improvements, the largest collection of API enhancements since version 1 and version parity with Maya Complete 4.5 for Mac OS X.

“We are proud to be shipping Maya 4.5 on time and for all platforms, as promised to our extensive user community,” says Bob Bennett, General Manager of Product Development, Alias|Wavefront. “In addition to the stunning Fluid Effects technology developed for Maya Unlimited™, we have answered the need of the Mac community to provide version parity with Maya Complete 4.5 for Mac OS X. Our beta sites have been raving about the new features of Maya 4.5 and you’ll soon see the results in upcoming major motion pictures, commercials and video games.”

Maya 4.5 Highlights; Maya Fluid Effects Technology

Conceived by Alias|Wavefront’s renowned research department, Maya Fluid Effects will allow users to create: atmospheric effects (billowing clouds and cigarette smoke); thick, viscous liquids (mud, lava); pyrotechnics (fire, explosions, nuclear blasts); and space effects (comets, nebulae and meteors). The addition of a new Ocean Shader allows users to create realistic oceans through a displacement and shading technique; the ability to create buoyant objects that react to the simulated water movement makes the Ocean Shader one of the software’s most anticipated features. An extensive library of examples and presets is included in the software, with additional updates accessible from the Alias® web site. For more information on Maya Fluid Effects, visit http://www.aliaswavefront.com/fluids.

Powerful Modeling Tools in Maya Complete

Maya users have stated that they want greater modeling flexibility, and now the full range of advanced NURBS and subdivision surface tools is available in Maya Complete; this includes the innovative ability to convert from subdivision surfaces or polygons to NURBS. Smooth Proxy tools have also been added, allowing rapid building of high-resolution geometry with a low-resolution polygon proxy cage.

API Enhancements

Game developers, large production facilities and Maya's extensive third-party plug-in development community will benefit from the most extensive API release ever, with enhancements to the Polygon and Rendering APIs and the introduction of extensions to file referencing allowing additional API access.

Version Parity with Maya 4.5 for Mac OS X

For the first time Maya Complete 4.5 is presented on all supported hardware, allowing users running on different supported platforms to exchange files. Mac OS X users will have access to all the new features from Maya Complete 4.0 and Maya Complete 4.5, in one package.

For more details on the features and functionalities of Maya 4.5 please refer to the Alias|Wavefront Announces Maya 4.5, press release at http://www.aliaswavefront.com/press.

Pricing and Availability

Maya Complete, available for the Windows XP, Windows 2000 Professional, IRIX, Linux and Mac OS X operating systems, is priced at $1,999* (US) and includes Advanced Modeling, rendering, animation, dynamics, Maya Artisan™, Maya Paint Effects™ and Maya Embedded Language™ (MEL), an open interface for programming and scripting. Maya Unlimited is priced at $6,999* (US) and includes Maya Fluid Effects™, Maya Fur™, Maya Cloth™, and Maya Live™. Maya is available through the Alias|Wavefront network of authorized resellers or may be purchased online at: http://www.aliaswavefront.com. Version upgrades are priced at $699* (US) for Maya Complete, and $999* (US) for Maya Unlimited.

About Alias|Wavefront

As the world’s leading innovator of 3D graphics technology, Alias|Wavefront develops software for the film and video, games, web, interactive media, industrial design, and visualization markets. Entertainment and games customers include: Acclaim Entertainment, Inc., CNN, Core Design Limited, Digital Domain, Disney, Electronic Arts, Industrial Light & Magic, Factor 5 LLC, Midway Games, Nintendo, Pacific Data Images (PDI), Pixar, Sega, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Square Co., Ltd., Warner Feature Animation and Weta Ltd.

Alias|Wavefront is a wholly owned, independent software company of SGI® with headquarters in Toronto and custom development center in Santa Barbara. Please visit the Alias|Wavefront web site at http://www.aliaswavefront.com or call 1-800-447-2542 in North America. International contact numbers include: Northern Europe, Middle East and Africa, +44 (0) 1494 441273; Germany, East & Southeast Europe, 0049 89 31 70 20; France, Spain and Portugal, +33 1 44 92 81 60; Japan, 0120 764 088; other parts of Asia Pacific, 81 3 3470 8282 and Latin America, 770 393 1881.

* Prices are list prices for node-locked licenses; floating licenses for Maya Unlimited are available at an additional fee. All prices quoted are in U.S. dollars. International pricing may vary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alias.jpg (18.5 KB, 1141 views)

Old 09-12-2002, 02:39 PM   #2
Myzery

Send a message via ICQ to Myzery
Ooooooh my FREAKING god.. This is the moment we've all been waiting for!

Yes yes yes... *order one copy*

GG & HF

Old 09-12-2002, 03:46 PM   #3
Revilo
Monkey Master

24hr Loser

Send a message via AIM to Revilo
Someone wanna buy me a copy

Old 09-12-2002, 04:37 PM   #4
Slim
Veteran

Student

Send a message via AIM to Slim
maya is overrated. :shame:

Old 09-12-2002, 04:45 PM   #5
Pyro2301
Frequenter
VFX Artist

Send a message via AIM to Pyro2301
Quote:
Originally posted by Slim
maya is overrated. :shame:

HAHAHA you posted exactly what I was thinking! The fluid effects stuff looks cool but after seeing some movies of it (that weren't from Alias|Wavefront) I'm begining to wonder how useful it'll actually be in production.

Old 09-12-2002, 04:51 PM   #6
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

I wonder if I can upgrade my version 3 (which I bought for $7000 grrrr ) to maya 4.5 for $699?

Old 09-12-2002, 04:56 PM   #7
fleetwood64
Veteran
game dev.

i did'nt know maya was still around

Old 09-12-2002, 04:58 PM   #8
DrAdamDinosaur
Adventurer
portfolio
Adam Dowley
Animator
Adelaide, Australia

Frankly yes, this release seems like it has a lot of gimmicks, and a lot of "cool" features in it. But lets face it, now is a good time to get maya. Who knows what will happen in the future.

fleetwood64: where did you think maya had gone?

Last edited by DrAdamDinosaur : 09-12-2002 at 05:01 PM.

Old 09-12-2002, 05:42 PM   #9
jRocket
Veteran

Of course it's not a major release. Thats why it's called Maya 4.5, as opposed to 5.0.

Old 09-12-2002, 05:43 PM   #10
Revilo
Monkey Master

24hr Loser

Send a message via AIM to Revilo
Unhappy

So no one's gonna buy me a copy

Old 09-12-2002, 05:50 PM   #11
gabe28
Know-it-All

Gabe DeLang
Freelance animator
USA

Send a message via Yahoo to gabe28
Am I to understand that even though this is a point release, it's not free? Can anyone who uses Maya confirm that? If so, that seems strange to charge for a point release. Most point releases are free while full version upgrades cost something. Am I missing something here?

Old 09-12-2002, 06:42 PM   #12
show
studyman

portfolio
Mark Edwards
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Ahhh sweetness, i've been hoping they would release it or give more info on it soon.

Check this page Sheep Factory http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/pr...d/pricing.shtml

Should answer your question

Node-Locked Licenses
Maya Unlimited 4.0 to 4.5 US$999
Maya Unlimited 3.0 to 4.5 US$1,499
Floating Licenses
Maya Unlimited 4.0 to 4.5 US$1,199
Maya Unlimited 3.0 to 4.5 US$1,799

Old 09-12-2002, 06:49 PM   #13
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

thanks for the link Show!

Old 09-12-2002, 09:07 PM   #14
gabe28
Know-it-All

Gabe DeLang
Freelance animator
USA

Send a message via Yahoo to gabe28
Holly cashcow Batman!!! $1000 for a point release!?!?! Absurd!! All those goodies they threw in better be worth it and not just gimmicks. Then again, I don't know what the hell I'm complaining about since I don't even use Maya... but, maybe the price has a lot to do with that. At any rate, I wonder how many they'll sell at those prices. I bet a lot of people just wait for the next full version update.

Old 09-12-2002, 09:13 PM   #15
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

most of the "new" stuff that comes with maya complete , were avaible as free MEL scripts from highend3d.com :annoyed:

Thread Closed share thread