Slow viewport update with trajectories on. (max7)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2005
Slow viewport update with trajectories on. (max7)

Hi people of good will.

I'm trying to animate a character with TCB controllers used for rotation of arms. It's rather simple rig with only 2 IK (history independent) chains for legs, no constrains, no wiring.

I'm using "show trajectories in viewport" as some kind of replacement for f-curves. But when I turn on the trajectory for wrist (for example) and I'm trying to fine-tune the motion of hand by rotating the arm (shoulder) the performance is very low (everything is damn slow, I just can't hit the right pose). (AthlonXP 3000+,1GB RAM)

Is this slow-down normal? Are there any "tricks" to speed it up, work-arounds, maybe a better way how to deal with TCB (euler is not option ).

02 February 2005
No, this is not normal. I use TCB rotations every day at work and don't have any slowdown. Could be something with your video card though cause I know my ATI video card at home has wierd problems showing trajectories in Direct3D mode. When I switch to OpenGL mode it clears things up but the card is still slower than Geforce cards when displaying wires/trajectories.

02 February 2005
also make sure you don't have a copy of any bones on top of each other [happen to me once, f*ct everything up]

also, try merging the whole file into a new file, might be corrupted in some way.

but its probably what gilley said...

02 February 2005
Thanks to both of you.

But nothing helped. I think that that slow-down is just the way things in max go.

But I have found a small work around: My animation is for example 250 frames long, and it helps a lot if I have only short time range (50 - 75 frames) shown in max - trajectory curve is shorter and everything updates faster....

Anyway thanks for help.

02 February 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread