How much is dual channel ram worth?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2005
How much is dual channel ram worth?

Hey all,
I was thinking about getting more RAM. Currently I'm on 2 x 512 running in dual channel mode, or whatever you call it. I'm not looking to get another 2 x 512, but was wondering if I chose to get 1 x 512 am I better off leaving it as it is, or not?

01 January 2005
Originally Posted by jcbray: Hey all,
I was thinking about getting more RAM. Currently I'm on 2 x 512 running in dual channel mode, or whatever you call it. I'm not looking to get another 2 x 512, but was wondering if I chose to get 1 x 512 am I better off leaving it as it is, or not?

Depends on whatever you are doing is exceeding 1GB of RAM and starts paging the hard drive (you'll know when that happens). If it does, than the extra 512MB is better than 1GB in dual channel.

If not, than it's better to leave the 1GB in dual channel mode. It's a large performance boost for things like video editing and Photoshop.

But then again, another 1GB of RAM in dual channel should only run you another $140 US.

01 January 2005
It also depends on weather or not you have Intel or AMD...

01 January 2005
i have a similar setup and would like to do exactly the same thing. can you lay out the benefits/disadvantages to doing the upgrade for both an intel and amd system (mine is amd)?
how is one better than the other?

yanky

01 January 2005
I've an AMD system.

Shogmaster mentioned that it is a larhe performance boost - what is the actual performance I'm seeing, roughly? Anyone know?

01 January 2005
Originally Posted by jcbray: I've an AMD system.

Shogmaster mentioned that it is a larhe performance boost - what is the actual performance I'm seeing, roughly? Anyone know?

A few percent in limited situations, certainly nothing to be overly concerned about. I would take the extra half gig myself.

01 January 2005
Thanks imashination, very helpful! Of course if anyone else has an opinion, I'd be glad to hear it. Cheers all!

- Colin

01 January 2005
It also depends on your processor model

01 January 2005
AMD Athlon64 3500+ (socket 939) on a motherboard based on the nforce 3 shipset

01 January 2005
How long would it take you to save for a full gig chip??? And also how much does your MOBO have room for? I don't a TON about computer hardware, but I know some and I think that this could add into the advice that people are adding! (sorry if I just know enough to be dangerous...and then tell me and i'll delete my post lol)

Last edited by itsallgoode9 : 01 January 2005 at 10:48 AM.

01 January 2005
I've two free RAM slots, and my mobo can take 4 gigs total, as for how long it would take to save up for a gig - well, I've plenty for it now, but it's much more then it is to by a single 512, and if the benefits are minimal, I don't want to have to spend the extra money. I'm only young still, and don't have a job, so cutting back on expenses is always a nifty idea

01 January 2005
From the benchmarks i've seen comparing the dual channel vs non dual channel with Athlon64 .. it doesnt impact much. It is faster, but only slightly, and probably nothign you'll notice in the end. This is probably most likely due to the fact that the Athlon64 has the built in memory controller which is just a huge percent better than any north bridge combination (P4 or Athlon XP). Though keep in mind these are benchmarks I've seen from places like tom's hardware or anandtech. So dont take them for fact :P

If you really want to see the performance loss, why not stick your current ram into single channel mode and compare the performance. If its acceptable to you, then get the 512 chip, if not.. well you know what you need

Also I know you dont want to get 2x512 but, last I checked two 512 sticks was much cheaper than a one gig chip. So maybe you should go for that? I know you lose all your ram slots, but thats 2 gigs, should be plenty..

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread