NEW!! Animation Timer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2002   #1
NEW!! Animation Timer

The Animation Timer is a product I have been developing and working on for some time now. I recently read a request for an Animator's Stopwatch on this forum so I thought I had better get it finished.
The Animation Timer is a desktop application for, you guessed it, timing animation.
Full info here. www.vangaans.com

Old 09 September 2002   #2
Yep! That would be useful.

Too bad I'm flat-broke... Not a 0.01$ in my pocket.
And IMNSHO... 10$ is a bit too much for a tiny app like this one.

oh well... Back to the good-old hand-timer and the calculator.
I can multiply seconds by FPS myself.

Old 09 September 2002   #3
Thanks for your feedback, I have spent a bit of time on this getting it right. Would like to cover costs, and have other products I would like to develop.

Give me feedback, what do you think is a fair price??

Thanks PaulVG

Old 09 September 2002   #4
I have a similar application called "toontimer" that was written and distributed for free by a guy named Wesley Grandmont.

It offers pretty much the same functionality as your app. Although, you offer the keyboard setting thing which his app does not.

It's definitely a useful app for timing and of course, free is always a good price.

Personally, I have written a few little utilities for myself and can appreciate the time and effort that goes into writing even a "small" program. If you feel $10 is fair, stick with it and if people have use for the app, they will pay it. Alternately, you may only sell 1 or 2 copies. If you priced it at $5 you may sell 2 or 4 copies...it's really a crapshoot based on what value people place on the utility. No matter what price point you set, if people have a use for it - they will buy it.

Old 09 September 2002   #5
Quote: Originally posted by vangaans
Give me feedback, what do you think is a fair price??

Well, I don't really know at which countries you're aiming.
Maybe in US 10$ is just ok. However where I live (lithuania) 10$ is quite a large sum for a single app. For example: for 10$ I could buy 3 audio CD's or 50 loafs (of bread)...
You can imagine how rich or stupid I'd have to be to spend 10$ for having a comp to count the frames, rather than myself.

Old 09 September 2002   #6
Hi insect666, I'm curious, which 3D package do you use and what does that package sell for in Lithuania?

Old 09 September 2002   #7
I use 3DsMax4 which costs same as in US, making it impossible to get even for the design studios.

I'm just a student, so I didn't pay a cent for it... You know what I mean.

Old 09 September 2002   #8
This is amusing. We're asking a 16 year old warez user what he would pay for software.

A bit like trying to sell ice to eskimos?
(no offense to the eskimos who don't really have warez versions of ice.)

;>

Last edited by Chewey : 09 September 2002 at 01:48 PM.

Old 09 September 2002   #9
Insect666 thanks for the honest reply

Chewie...LOL...it's ironic..

While your here Chewie, What's your thoughts on pricing...

If you don't mind me asking...where do you work?

Old 09 September 2002   #10
If your new tool is useful and - at least - slightly better than some other similar, free tool, then $10 is a very fair price for something that could save me days and weeks of work. Besides - and this should be fairly obvoius to most people - If I run into some problem with the tool or if I need some adjustments made to it, then my chances of getting it fixed is a whole lot greater if I'm a paying user than a freeloader.
C'mon people, lets keep the tools writing people some reward for their efforts! The "everything-should-be-free" culture of nowadays is just contraproductive.

Old 09 September 2002   #11
I think your $10 price tag is what you'd could expect penny pinching, starving artist types to spend if they needed it and if they knew it existed.
Without marketing you can't expect much to happen.

Last edited by Chewey : 09 September 2002 at 02:31 PM.

Old 09 September 2002   #12
be smart, set it free!

It's a nonsense to sell it at 10$.
Write a useful program, make it a free dload, spread the word in the forums and you'll have a t least a hundred of people dloading it, giving you feedback, giving you a great satisfaction, and finally if everything goes well making you think of a better version, maybe a PRO (not free) one.
Or write a useful program, give it a price (10$), spread the word in the forums and you'll have at least a hundred of people thinking of you as uncle scrooge, no feedback, no hands up, maybe 2-3 people who will buy it, for sure it won't make you rich and it won't give you a great satisfaction.
Think of winamp, napster, virtualDub, CDex, and so on...
What's better? an improved popolarity or 20 more bucks in your pocket?

Old 09 September 2002   #13
I found a very helpful free program a while back - KT2.exe
it sets frames/seconds while tapping the space bar.

Should be findable under flay.com

About the price - maybe you'd be good off having one minimal function tool, and one with handy extras for paying clientelle.

Old 09 September 2002   #14
Re: be smart, set it free!

Quote: Originally posted by jazzroy
It's a nonsense to sell it at 10$.
Write a useful program, make it a free dload, spread the word in the forums and you'll have a t least a hundred of people dloading it, giving you feedback, giving you a great satisfaction, and finally if everything goes well making you think of a better version, maybe a PRO (not free) one.
Or write a useful program, give it a price (10$), spread the word in the forums and you'll have at least a hundred of people thinking of you as uncle scrooge, no feedback, no hands up, maybe 2-3 people who will buy it, for sure it won't make you rich and it won't give you a great satisfaction.
Think of winamp, napster, virtualDub, CDex, and so on...
What's better? an improved popolarity or 20 more bucks in your pocket?

What a niggardly post! This has to be just troll bait plain and simple. But just in case it's not...

Pay the $10 because he deserves compensation for his labor. Or perhaps you wouldn't might cleaning my toilets for free just as long as we give you "props" for doing it? How about you clean 100 toilets and just think of the satisfaction and "improved popolarity" you'll get for helping
keep the toilets clean. While you're at it my lawns need cutting also. And when you get done with that my car could use a wax job. I could introduce you to my neighbors. They'd just love to put your generous butt to work for free.

"improved popolarity" ?

Can you spell "cheap mofo"?

Old 09 September 2002   #15
Niggardly indeed!

Thread Closed share thread