Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-21-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
heynewt
Know-it-All
Robert N
USA

Controlling IK Pitch direction

Hi,

I'm finally getting around to playing with some rigging in Messiah. Setting up an IK chain, it seems no matter what "direction", i.e. "+" or "-" I set on the Inverse Kinematics block in the Animate tab for my anchor or my effector, my bones always rotate the same direction in Pitch, though they seem to work the "normal" way for heading. By normal, I mean if I move my goal across the heading axis the bones pivot the correct way following the goal.

But nothing I can do with my goal will prevent the bones from pivoting only one direction on the Pitch axis. I change the direction back and forth, but it doesn't affect anything.

I'm sure I'm missing the obvious. It's especially frustrating when the little animated parts of the tutorial show the bones moving back and forth normally across the pitch axis, but when I open their completed tutorial scenes, my bones only move from 0 to plus 100deg on the pitch axis, never 0deg to -100deg.

Robert Newton

Old 01-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
heynewt
Know-it-All
Robert N
USA

Making this question much simpler, the "direction" button in the IK block doesn't seem to do anything to change the way my IK chain behaves. That's my frustration. What is that "+" and "-" supposed to do?

Robert

Old 01-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
heynewt
Know-it-All
Robert N
USA

Okay, at the risk of having a thread where I just talk to myself, I futzed around some more and found the answer. Clicking on the "+" or "-" for direction should be done for each bone itself, not the anchors or effectors. This is logical, it's just that maybe I misread the tutorials where they said to use those for the anchors and the effectors. Anyway, it definitely effects the bones rotation direction.

Robert

Old 01-22-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
ThomasHelzle
portfolio
Thomas Helzle
Berlin, Germany

LOL

Old 01-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread