Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: R. S. Laraia

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2005
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: R. S. Laraia

R. S. Laraia has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: The Galaxy Makers

Have decided to go with the blue one.

Moved the planet from the left to the bottom to create more drama and to keep the focus on depth perception. Kept the piece monochromatic and simple to create more mystery.

01 January 2005
Line Art: The Galaxy Makers

Found out about this challenge 2 weeks ago, and I've been so busy haven't had time to upload images in a timely fashion.

This is actually an image I've used on my website and I'm re-doing it at a higher resolution for a direct mail postcard.

The idea for this piece is based on an idea of beings so advanced, that they create whole planets, systems, and that they are at the center of all galaxies.

This is a finalized Photoshop comp for the background.

01 January 2005
Coloring WIP: The Galaxy Makers

Finished Background in Photoshop and tinted it green. Might try it in blue. Keeping a basic monochromatic scheme. Main goal is to show depth perception which will be helped by floating planets.

01 January 2005
Smile yo

Nice effect! Hope you finish it on time man. Good luck.

01 January 2005
Dean thanks for the compliment. Hope I make it too but it shouldn't be a problem. Getting this background right was the hardest part since I'm going to go with a clean look and focus more on the depth perception.

01 January 2005
Final Coloring: The Galaxy Makers

With the background complete now working on the main focus which is creating depth by the placement of planets, but also trying to create drama.

01 January 2005
nice effects

The effects are nice. One thing is that you have not submitted a Concept art. I think you need to submit all the milestones to be elligible for judging. I would suggest you submit something for a concept! Good luck! And I hope you finish in time!

01 January 2005
Thanks for the compliment, LButterfly.

Yes, I have to scan in my scribbles to post for the concept. Hopefully its not a problem if I post stuff out of order.

01 January 2005
Concept Sketch: Original Concept

original concept

01 January 2005

Finished, but don't know which one to go with, green or blue?

01 January 2005

Finished, but don't know which one to go with, green or blue?

01 January 2005
Final Image: The Galaxy Makers

Have decided to go with the blue one.

Moved the planet from the left to the bottom to create more drama and to keep the focus on depth perception. Kept the piece monochromatic and simple to create more mystery.

01 January 2005
Hi, Your image does not leave me indifférants, you with perhaps
illustrated the great white light and the tunnel that have it see
after death, your creation with one without mystic, gook luck.

01 January 2005
Hello Tranchefuex,

Don't know if your post is a compliment or a critique?

I figure I should give a little more background on what I was thinking while creating the pic.

The basic idea was to create something immense, but keeping it simple. The backgound of the image was something that came to me right away. A bright sun surrounded by small lights. I guess its origination goes back to stuff like Close Encounters of the 3rd kind, where the large UFO comes and theres these millions of tiny lights with one big bright light in the center. Don't know, but this image popped into my head early on. Then I thought about maybe adding thousands of ships streaking towards the light on a suicide mission against a great entity. But an entity that creates ships the size in the image would be beyond godlike and would see us as smaller than one celled animals. Plus it would've taken away from the simplicity I was striving for.

Thats when the idea struck me that they are gods of the universe, the builders of whole galaxies, since all galaxies have a center this is where they are. In plain terms, a big planet factory. This idea was helped along after seeing a Hubble pic that showed a black universe with thousands of Galaxies floating around, truly an awesome pic since it makes you certainly believe that their is life out there because of the odds. But why is there so much empty space? Why isn't it just one big starfield? So I came up with this idea of galaxy makers. Granted this is a simplistic way of looking at the universe but hopefully it makes one contemplate a little lol.

As for the light being death and the light at the end of a tunnel in the pic, I kind of see it as the opposite, as the light you first see when being born.

The light at the end of the tunnel pic is for the next Space Opera Challange, which will be the Galaxy Demolitioners. lol. A large black hole swallowing destroyed planets, comets, space dust...

01 January 2005
Hello Tranchefuex,

Your post was a little hard to understand. Don't know if it's a compliment or a critique?

I figure I should give a little more background on what I was thinking while creating the pic.

The basic idea was to create something immense, but keeping it simple. The backgound of the image was something that came to me right away. A bright sun surrounded by small lights. I guess its origination goes back to stuff like Close Encounters of the 3rd kind, where the large UFO comes and theres these millions of tiny lights with one big bright light in the center. Don't know, but this image popped into my head early on. Then I thought about maybe adding thousands of ships streaking towards the light on a suicide mission against a great entity. But an entity that creates ships the size in the image would be beyond godlike and would see us as smaller than one celled animals. Plus it would've taken away from the simplicity I was striving for.

Thats when the idea struck me that they are gods of the universe, the builders of whole galaxies, since all galaxies have a center this is where they are. In plain terms, a big planet factory. This idea was helped along after seeing a Hubble pic that showed a black universe with thousands of Galaxies floating around, truly an awesome pic since it makes you certainly believe that their is life out there because of the odds. But why is there so much empty space? Why isn't it just one big starfield? So I came up with this idea of galaxy makers. Granted this is a simplistic way of looking at the universe but hopefully it makes one contemplate a little lol.

As for the light being death and the light at the end of a tunnel in the pic, I kind of see it as the opposite, as the light you first see when being born.

The light at the end of the tunnel pic is for the next Space Opera Challange, which will be the Galaxy Demolitioners. lol. A large black hole swallowing destroyed planets, comets, space dust...

Thread Closed share thread