Capturing video onto a PC from a Sony Handycam

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2005   #1
Capturing video onto a PC from a Sony Handycam

Hey all

I just bought Sony Handycam HC30E for video work, and apparently the software that comes along with it is... well, overy newbie-friendly. I've some video footage in my Handycam's tape, and I want to transfer it onto the computer using the provided USB cable.

I haven't been able to handshake the camcorder with the computer for video transfer, except for those in the Memory Stick duo. I can access stills and videos from there, though.

I want to load it into my PC for editing (haven't decided on the right software, yet).

Anyone got an idea on this? I'd really appreciate any help.

Old 01 January 2005   #2
Video is transferred through the firewire cable (or i.Link in Sony lingo, or IEEE1384(?)). The USB cable is used when you want to utilize your camera as a web cam. You have to install the drivers from the for that cd, though.

You also need software to capture the video. Any editing software does this.

Marc

PS: Technical questions like these might be better asked in the Editing or Compositing forums, I think.

Old 01 January 2005   #3
Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, I meant to post it in "Editing", but I confused that forum for this one (yep, silly me).

Video can only be transferred using FireWire, then. Oh well, have to get a PCI FireWire controller.

Thanks for your help

Old 01 January 2005   #4
as for getting a Firewire card. Don't spend a lot of money. I've seen packages costing hundreds of dollars while a $50 FW card can do the trick. Most packages come with Software but I don't know if you need that. If you're using Adobe Premiere and want to capture, simply go to:
File --> Capture --> Movie Capture.

Old 01 January 2006   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread