Shadow Color ..?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2005
Shadow Color ..?

Is there any way that anyone knows of to change the shadow coloring in lightwave without painful bounced lighting effects......?

....I thoight i remembered reading something once about a option to change shadow color...but maybe i dreamed it

Last edited by essencedesign : 01 January 2005 at 02:40 AM.

01 January 2005
In Lightwave[8] Layout, you can change the shadow color for each light on the Shadow tab in the light's property window. If memory serves, you can do the same in previous versions.

01 January 2005
yeah light properties under shadows tab is shadow color. This is the sorta thing you could search for using the manual

01 January 2005
while we're on the subject, anyone know how to change shadow intensity, without changing light intensity, or can u just change the color to upwards of black to say gray or lighter.

*edit* i just went ahead and tested it and it seems the only way is to change the color. but, i think there should be a "shadow intensity" value so u can turn it negative just like lights, and have luminous shadows if you ever needed that effect.

Last edited by qwertykd : 01 January 2005 at 03:13 AM.

01 January 2005
Originally Posted by Padmus: yeah light properties under shadows tab is shadow color. This is the sorta thing you could search for using the manual

...thanks...I guess......jeeze sometimes people can be cranky about this stuff....

...by the way I should have added I suppose..that I am looking for global change...not per light as I am using GI....

...perhaps will just render shadow pass and deal with it later ...

01 January 2005
hmm...that does seem tricky...could u get some colored object to be unseen by camera to substitute for the reflected shadow color?....this is prolly the painful method you mentioned though lol

01 January 2005
Originally Posted by qwertykd: anyone know how to change shadow intensity, without changing light intensity

Various ways :

- Add some Lum and reduce some Diffuse
- Use dual lights and share the intensity between them. Set the one of the two to cast shadows
- Use Worley's G2, it allows per surface shadow intensity value combined with Light groups

Good luck

01 January 2005
For global shadow colors using GI you can try ie turning the ambient color towards blue and then compensate with light colors to make the lighting warm but keeping the shadows cold/blue. You should dive into the realm of traditional lighting theories and absorb all knowledge you can get your hands on.

To adjust a lights shadow intensity clone the light, turn off the clones shadows and turn both the lights' intensity down to ie 50 %. Then you have in effect a 100 % intensity light with 50 % intensity shadows.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread