Gangor - A work in Progress.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2001   #1
Gangor - A work in Progress.

Since the forum is brand new, it wouldn't be complete without my very own character thread
So i'll post it again. Many of you will probably have seen it allready, but I can still use critique. And an update will probably show up very soon.

Without further adue . . .
The complete model version of Gangor

and the latest version of gangor with textures.

[IMG]

And I can see that I def need to change the background on the second one, it clashes with the new forum colors

Well, crit away . . .

Old 12 December 2001   #2
Hmm...very, very nice...especially the texturing.
One thing, however. If he was real (which he looks realistic enough) the ends of the tenticle-y things coming off his face would probably just be one color, the yellow or the blue.
(The one in the middle really bothers me for some reason)

Other than that, it's eeeexcelllent.

Old 12 December 2001   #3
LOL yeah, I haven't textured those yet, they're gonna be one color in the end, but thx for telling me. another thing to add to my to-do checklist.

Old 12 December 2001   #4
looks good, there is however a seam in his pit.

-=www.cginsider.com=-
-=www.graphic-forums.com=-

Old 12 December 2001   #5
Yes I know. I haven't welded the textured pieces together yet.
I chopped the model into a head, a torso and arm, so i can texture them seperately. I don't know of another way. But if anyone knows how i can make em blend easilly when i attach the pieces togher, I'd be very happy

Old 12 December 2001   #6
damn I think I saw this guy before.. hmm where??.. hmmm damn... :P

Old 12 December 2001   #7
haha, must be your imagination

Old 12 December 2001   #8
does look familiar doesn't he...?

When texturing organic stuff 'noxx - try to use masks and different mapping channels...

For example - you could create a selection of b&w masks that break up ur model in to the seperate maps (as you have done now in effect), each one with their own mapping channel. Now you can use a combination of Blend Materials and Mix maps to control the UV placement for each texture map (using the corresponding mask for that section to block it off from the other. For instance, you could have your neck masked off (all black model and white area for the neck) with a UV map set at channel 1. Now you can apply a UV modifier for the neck (in much the same way you've done now) with a map channel of 2. Then unwrap/create ur map (however you choose/have done). And then use you diffuse/bump/spec maps with the UV map set at 2 (controlling thier placement) and the mask set to 1 (controlling it's placement). By blurring the masks edges you'll achieve a much more natural transition between each seperate texture map.

Anyway - I knwo that this is the critique not the advice forum, so I'll just say that Gangor's lookin' as handsome as ever!

Old 12 December 2001   #9
Re: Gangor - A work in Progress.

Quote: Originally posted by Equinoxx
Since the forum is brand new, it wouldn't be complete without my very own character thread
So i'll post it again. Many of you will probably have seen it allready, but I can still use critique. And an update will probably show up very soon.

Without further adue . . .
The complete model version of Gangor

and the latest version of gangor with textures.

[IMG]

And I can see that I def need to change the background on the second one, it clashes with the new forum colors

Well, crit away . . .

seams a bit familiar!

Old 12 December 2001   #10
Smile

Nice model equinoxx!

As mentioned above as well, that middle hanging tenticle from his face is somewhat out of place. Maybe it's just me =)

What modeling method did you use to construct Gangor? Is it possible for us to see the cage?

Good luck,
grim

Old 12 December 2001   #11
I started out using editable poly, but collapsed it to editable mesh in the end.
i will up a screengrab of the pre-meshsmooth model and one with meshsmooth applied, both showing the edges tonight.

Old 12 December 2001   #12
Well, here is a display if my "spline-cage" There isn't really a splineface, since I made every poly myself [the left one] and than applied a meshsmooth modifier with 1 itteration on it [the right]

Old 12 December 2001   #13
Ack... Tri Faces!!! Kill them... kill them ALL!!!! Aiieeeeeeee....

j/k - nice as ever mate

(BTW... What's happening over at t3rdD??:confused: )

Old 12 December 2001   #14
very nice! i liked...

his face remembers me a little of Watto.

cool.

Old 12 December 2001   #15
You already know we like it... read: show off

Is there a new rating system or something? Want to be jedi too :(

Last edited by parallax : 12 December 2001 at 09:12 AM.

share thread