Duplicating Layers with its Operators

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2004   #1
Duplicating Layers with its Operators

Hi and happy new year to everyone.
There is something bugging me in Combustion for a long time and I'd like if there is a ways to get rid of it.
It's when you duplicate a layer which has some Operators like a Blur or something else, Combustion doesnt make a copy of that operator, instead it uses that first one. And if you want fine tune the duplicated layer you'd fine out that it affects the original. Yes I could switch to Schematic View then unplug and plug connections but I just wished that Combustion doesnt force me to do that everytime I want to duplicate a layer, or at least it offers a real node based way

Old 12 December 2004   #2
Hi and happy new year to you too,

I think you´re mixing 2 questions into 1

Originally Posted by lazzhar: Hi and happy new year to everyone.
There is something bugging me in Combustion for a long time and I'd like if there is a ways to get rid of it.
It's when you duplicate a layer which has some Operators like a Blur or something else, Combustion doesnt make a copy of that operator, instead it uses that first one. And if you want fine tune the duplicated layer you'd fine out that it affects the original.

From the manual :

"If you copy a layer in the Workspace panel and then paste it, all of its properties (settings, footage, and any operators) are copied as well. However, if you duplicate a layer using the Duplicate command, the new layer links to the original footage and operators. In other words, the layer instances the operators."

So if you don´t want to instance the operators just copy and paste the desired layers instead of using the duplicate command .

Originally Posted by lazzhar: Yes I could switch to Schematic View then unplug and plug connections but I just wished that Combustion doesnt force me to do that everytime I want to duplicate a layer, or at least it offers a real node based way
You don´t need to plug-unplug, you can use the switcher operator wich does just that, or create a new composite with the 2 layers you want to tune and switch on-off the upper layer to alternate between them.

Good luck!

Old 01 January 2005   #3
That's it. The troubles started when I thought I'm smart enough to use the shortucts crtl+Alt+ D to duplicate layers. Before I was using Copy/Paste and it was working.

Thank you very much.

Old 01 January 2006   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread