Spielberg's Transformers robots to hit the screen

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Spielberg's Transformers robots to hit the screen

Quote: Sydney December 28, 2004 2:09:16 PM IST

Maverick film director Steven Spielberg is set to bring one of the toy phenomenons of the 1980s to the big screen, generating a booming adult collectors market for the robots known as Transformers.

According to The Advertiser, the 'Jaws' director has announced that he will follow next year's 'The War of the Worlds' with a live-action tale of the mechanical heroes who disguise themselves as cars, trucks and jets.

Spielberg's announcement has prompted people in their mid-20s to seek out the original Transformers toys, and they are prepared to pay thousands of dollars to rekindle their childhood memories.

Susan Wardle of the Toy Collector at Ingle Farm said that adult buyers had made Transformers one of the store's most popular lines.

"The big buyers are people aged 20 to 24, the people who were kids when the toys first came out and still remember them. There's always a strong interest in them and whatever we get in stock sells pretty much straight away, especially the early, hard-to-get stuff," the report quoted Wardle as saying.

Stephen Jesson, who runs the web site theyareamongus.com, said that many fans were building on the modest collections they had as children.

"In my mid-20s I spent thousands of dollars on Generation One toys (but) I sold my entire collection so I could go around the world debt-free," he said.

"I like to unwind not by cracking open a beer but by breaking open the odd toy and escaping to a place full of fun and imagination - no matter how childish that seems to some," added Jesson. (ANI)

http://www.webindia123.com/news/showdetail...56835&cat=World

12 December 2004
Did'nt Tom Hanks apparently said something about a Transformers movie a while ago? But then people realized that it was all just crazy speculation.

No offense to the site or anything, but I simply can't beleave Web India 123 will have news like this BEFORE any of the other movie websites out there like imdb.com. Which shows his next Directoral Production as being a film called Vengeance. Not Transformers.

12 December 2004
ooops....

I'm wrong....

I guess he does have a transformers film on his plate. He'll be executive producer on an Untitled one due out in 2006. NOT after War of the Worlds though.

12 December 2004
Jesus christ!! Ive heard a lot about live action transformers movies, but spielberg doing it?? This has gotta be some sort of joke!
Its like getting ridley scott to direct a live action care bears movie!

Ill believe it when i see some pictures....

12 December 2004
cheee... kchooo kchooo kchooo kheee (transformers "transforming" sound)

12 December 2004
Guess Indy IV wont exist.

Watch this

http://www.iesb.net/video/hanks.wmv

funny video of Hanks thinking about being part of the transformer movies

12 December 2004
hahahaha... that is pretty good

12 December 2004
I bet Tom will have a cameo or do something with Steven.

They are good friends and have colaborated on so many films.

12 December 2004
I hope this doesn't come at the expense of Indy IV.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so into movies; normal people don't even know that Indy IV is 'in the works'. Let alone Transformers.

Let's stop for a moment. Is Indy IV for real?

12 December 2004
Er. When did Speilberg become a "maverick" film director?

12 December 2004
Live action...ew...reminds me of power rangers.

And one other question...20-24yrolds? nunh...I'm 28, They were the best toys for kids around my age too...

12 December 2004
yep im 29, and yes Spielberg is executive producing the film but I haven't heard anything about him directing it. ALthough id be glad to hear it.

Transformers has an amazing storyline. The producer has mentioned that he was shocked to find out that Steven Spielberg knows everything about the mythos.

12 December 2004
I coud believe Exec. Producing but not directing. If anything it would be posted on the Hollywood Reporter and/or Variety.

12 December 2004
Dream on

I remember this had come up a little while ago,and as i remember dreamworks had aquired the rights to the movie.Spielburg would do his exec prod job,with Robert Zemekis directing,this would be a cg live action gig.

If any of you know how the directer Zemekis is with effects he would apply some groundwork in cg technique before going into what looks to be a 200 mil movie.

Oh... i suppose he has had a little work recently hasnt he ?

Cool CG robots in disguise anyone!

12 December 2004
That article sounds like its coming from someone who's either misinformed or is trying to imply that Spielberg is directing the movie and thus misinform any reader.

Thread Closed share thread