CG Retrospective 2004 - CG Top 20

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Thumbs up CG Retrospective 2004 - CG Top 20

Hi all,

As you know, recently we did a survey and voting poll on significant things that happened in the CG industry this year past. With the help of the CGTalk community, we compiled this list and opened voting for a week to finally arrive at the Top 20 CG things that happened in 2004. The results, as voted by the CGTalk community are now here:

>> CG Retrospective 2004 - CG Top 20 <<

Wishing you all a very happy Christmas and New Year. Here's to 2005!

Best,

Leonard

--

Frequently asked questions / issues

Q: Why isn't 'XYZ' on this list?
A: It might have been on the voting list and did not score as high during voting. The thread where the community compiled the list of things that happened in 2004 is here. Voting took place last week, and the Top 20 is in the article linked above. There are no losers here - this list is simply what the community compiled and voted for.

Q: Sorry, but 'XYZ' is not worthy of being in this list. Why is it included?
A: Because that's what the community wanted and voted for.

Q: Why not a bigger list of the Top 40/50/100? That way nobody gets left out.
A: Because it takes a lot of time to compile the Top 20 including commentary and images for each, let alone Top 40/50/100. No matter how you compile it, or how comprehensive the list ends up, someone is going to complain...we've got to be practical and cut the list at some point. 20 is reasonable and already took a long time to put together.

--

Last edited by Leonard : 12 December 2004 at 01:32 PM.

12 December 2004
Great job... looks like an accurate list to me. Cheers to all the winners, creators, participants, and CGNetworks. Here's to a great 2005.

On a VFX Hiatus

12 December 2004
Great to see AM featured among the top 20. Here is wishing them all the luck for 2005.
Incredilble list that.
-cheers!

12 December 2004
Great list, great article. 'Can't wait to see how 2005 can improve on this...

12 December 2004
awsome. never saw that thing about ea... frightening

www.joedeangelisportfolio.com

12 December 2004
Top5 is spot on! Just the way I voted for.

12 December 2004
Shouldn't the World Of Warcraft intro be in this list? ...Huh...?

The Adventure of Gorm - Game in Development

My Youtube Channel

12 December 2004
Excellent list! Congrats to all the winners! Now, seeing that The Incredibles made top spot, i must watch it.

12 December 2004
hey, it`s not fair! warcraft 3 and world of warcraft have the best game cinematics, they rule!

12 December 2004
Originally Posted by Dominus: hey, it`s not fair! warcraft 3 and world of warcraft have the best game cinematics, they rule!

I mostly agree. Onimusha and Warhammer 40000 are strikingly beautiful but WOW cinematic had to have its honourful mention.

12 December 2004
Nice to see Z Brush 2 near the top.

As for things like Onimusha and WoW intro cinematics... The point of this thing was to find the things this year that had an impact on the industry. And yes, those cinematics may be very pretty - they're incredible animations. But I really fail to see how they've made a very dramatic impact in the industry.

Originally Posted by Leonard: Critieria for selection
Whatever is selected in this list needs to be innovative, landmark or very cool. We are interested in events, movies, short films, games, products, software or anything that had a profound effect on the CG industry in 2004.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by -Vormav- : 12 December 2004 at 09:26 AM.

12 December 2004
very nice list!

hope the cgcomunity to progress more in the newxt years,that we cannot judge between which one is the best! and 20 becomes 100 !
[ Convertion is what which is happening to me... ]
aLi.

12 December 2004
Quote: Shouldn't the World Of Warcraft intro be in this list? ...Huh...?
Quote: hey, it`s not fair! warcraft 3 and world of warcraft have the best game cinematics, they rule!
Quote: Onimusha and Warhammer 40000 are strikingly beautiful but WOW cinematic had to have its honourful mention.
Excuse me guys, I'd just like to point out that the World of Warcraft opening cinematics was on the voting list but got edged out of the Top 20 in the scores! This is the way the community voted, so it's totally fair. There are no losers here!

Leonard

12 December 2004
I know this is the way the community voted but the US population voted Shrek2 topdog with
their dollars. Its the no.3 movie of all time in the US, with only StarWars and Titanic beating it. Thats no small feat. It had "pathos" and emotion depicting a newly marriaged couples and thier in-laws. I can't beleieve ppl didn't give it more votes.

12 December 2004
Well, USA is only 10% of the world - they are a minority, even with their opinions (no flames, thank you)

Thread Closed share thread