Tutorial: Lighting studio setup with MR

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Tutorial: Lighting studio setup with MR

Here is a wee tutorial, just covers a basic setup for mental ray using object lights, a bit of final gather and anti aliasing

http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/tutori...o/studiotut.htm

I plan to do some more small ones, covering similar setups, concentrating on reflections and er other stuff [cars I suppose]

cheers!

www.simonreeves.com
3D VFX Artist

12 December 2004
Thanks Simon, this was just what I was looking for and it really helped to de-mystify mental ray for me.

12 December 2004
cool - thats really good to hear

www.simonreeves.com
3D VFX Artist

12 December 2004
i appreciate this tutorial so much. i have been messing with MR for a couple of weeks and it's been nothing but a headache for me. Please continue with the tutorials............jophus

02 February 2005
I was not quite de-mystified, but every little bit of info helps! Thanks for taking the time to add to the knowledge pool.

-S

02 February 2005
How come when I add different output textures on my planes.. it makes them all the same colour.. Even when i make the planes seperate.. and have differnt textures applied. No matter what i do it makes all the planes the last colour i assigned to one of them.. And they are not instances or even copies.. whats wrong?

03 March 2005
Lol Asura i have no idea whats going on, could you elaborate a little more?

Keep up the work on the great tutorials simon! They are really well written and helpful. I like the one about the mercedes too. I cant get the seaking helicopter one though.

03 March 2005
AsurA they must be instanced theres not really any other reason for it as far as i know :s

cheers TheArrow

www.simonreeves.com
3D VFX Artist

03 March 2005
man that was fast lol

any idea how i can get the helicopter modeling tut without subscribing to that magazine?

03 March 2005
maybe here --> http://www.3dworldmag.com/backissues.asp but thats an expensive route just for the tut

maybe sometime they will allow me to put it on me site, but that may be not possible :/

www.simonreeves.com
3D VFX Artist

03 March 2005
hmm.....lol, I see, its their article now.
oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for some other nice tuts (I dont really want to have one magazine shipped to me in the US for one article)

[edit] Now i know what the problem is Asura, I went through the tut myself. Make sure you rename the materials you are making so they have different names. If you just hit "ok" when the warning comes up, you will be replacing the previous material and making them all the same color! [/edit]

Last edited by TheArrow : 03 March 2005 at 02:01 AM.

03 March 2005
Wow that helped so much... my lighting has improved ten fold becuase of this tut... Thnx

03 March 2005
This tutorial is cool....simple and very good result...thanks

zs

03 March 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread