They Came From The Sea, Danny Falch (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2004   #1
They Came From The Sea, Danny Falch (3D)

Title: They Came From The Sea
Name: Danny Falch
Software: (Other), VIZ

Originaly made for a 3d contest at 3dmaxer.dk
It's a clasic story, the machines has taken over the world, giant robofish has melted the poles and flooded the planet, i know i sounds a bit far out...
Idea about the rendering is to give it a movieposterlike feel something between painting and rendering and a very blue image with very clear water to show as mouch city as posible and little algee to let the poster stand sharp and clear, nice and cold water.

Here are some wip, inspiration and wire pix.

bodywire
real fish
wip
wip
wip
wire

My Journey entry (3d)
My Spectacular entry (3D)
good luck to you all....................

Old 12 December 2004   #2
Great work man, i like it a lot!!!
Personally, I would have made building a little destroyed, but anyway

Old 12 December 2004   #3
Although it's not a major thing for the image but the car model is very angular.

I think you need to do more with the water to give it volume, at the moment it just isn't being water for me.

Good work with the buildings and the robofish.

BL

Old 12 December 2004   #4
awesome! Really cool concept and great execution, it feels a touch too crisp though, maybe a touch of dof would help. Otherwise its really nice! Reminds me of the movie AI mixed with Bicentenial Man.

Edit: I agree the water is too clear, maybe some particular matter and pullin in the depth for a bit.

Old 12 December 2004   #5
bubbles, bubbles .. give me some bubbles

Old 12 December 2004   #6
very nice! I'd say 2 things:
-water it's too "clean", maybe adding micro thingies floating would help. Also a little bit more light falloff maybe?
-tha tail of the big fish seems cutted, since i did understand that it was beyond the building. Maybe some shadow (or just less light) on the tail ?
Btw great rendering!

Old 12 December 2004   #7
Great job!
But the fishes look like floating in the air instead of swimming. Maybe distort some part of the image? or even water bubbles might help.

Old 12 December 2004   #8
- I really like the image, you've got a great imagination.
- I agree witht what has been said about the bubbles/more worn buildings/dof/too clean
- I think it would be interesting if the fish had some dim lights on them, maybe the eyes?
- www.EdHarriss.com

Old 12 December 2004   #9
Thumbs up

very well I like rhis image.fish is very good

would you like to see my concepts & sketches

Old 12 December 2004   #10
Perfect - I wouldn't change a thing - DOF is getting too cliche and the buildings don't need any damage IMO.

Old 12 December 2004   #11
3d-empire: Great great work. I like the mood and the composition. Interesting and original piece.

Tillykke med frontpage!!!, Hvilken konkurrence var det? Jeg hænger ud på 3dsmaxer.dk en gang imellem, men har desværre ikke set denne.
Fiskene er for seje.

Old 12 December 2004   #12
Cool render man...

Old 12 December 2004   #13
wow, that looks really nice. Very nice lighting btw, really looks deepsea. GJ

Old 12 December 2004   #14
I think already mentioned this on 3dmaxer.dk but I really like you picture. Nice idea, lighting and composition.
The only thing I think you should have changed was to add a bit more detail to the cars and the seafloor.

Old 12 December 2004   #15
I love the idea behind this piece, but there isn't enough reality in it when you compare it to how photorealistic the style is. The clearest water isn't that clear, and things floating in the water would give much better depth and greater mystery (a bonus, imho). Also, greater variance in lights and darks would help break the "render" feel.

I also agree that the buildings should have some damage/decay. The windows even still have curtains for goodness sake. At least in textures you could show (rather cheaply) some wear on the buildings. As it looks now I expect someone to poke their head out of the window and wave at people walking by on the street...

@Hettinger - Depth of Field is cliche? In a realistic rendering, how could DoF be bad if it isn't over done?

Thread Closed share thread