Help!! are blend shapes and sub-d's impossible?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2004   #1
Help!! are blend shapes and sub-d's impossible?

Are blend shapes and sub-d's impossible?

just started testing out blendshpaes for my character which is all sub-d's. I'd say it is a light to medium density model. I have it posted here at CG talk if you want to take a look. The head is separate from the rest of the model.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1767061&posted=1#post1767061

I just tried to make one simple blend (an eye blink and a brow movement). My god, if it did not take forever! I thought it was never going to create the blend. Then when it finally did, it was impossible to move the slider, it was really chunky and not practical to animate. I tried it twice making sure there was no history or junk nodes slowing it down, but same result.

I can't believe how slow this is. What good are sub-d's if you get this far and cannot animate due to this sluggish response, and this was just one blend head. I must be doing something wrong. Is there a way to make blend heads work on the polygon and then convert it to a sub-d?

any help or comments appreciated.

Jeff

Old 12 December 2004   #2
Yeah, just do it all on your poly object, then when it comes time to render it all out, just do a conversion to SubD's and make sure to turn off all visibility on your poly object in it's attribute editor.

Old 12 December 2004   #3
Blend node is gone

Thanks for the response, when I try this the sub-d conversion eliminates the history, and the blend node is no longer present. I looked for a way to preserve that node, but no way to do so since it's an entirely new object.

Jeff

Old 12 December 2004   #4
proxy on??

Ok, hold on, if I convert using proxy mode (I noticed a standard setting with option "no history" is the default setting on the convert to sub-d) it will keep the blend node, but still chunks when sub-d's are visible. If you happen to switch to standard mode though at any time, it will blow away the proxy and the blend node. It looks like it may work just like you said, but would have to be very careful, and only facial animate with sub-d's turned off.

Jeff

Old 01 January 2006   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread