Griffon animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Griffon animation

Hi all,

here is something i have just finalized, i thought i might give you abit of a 'making of' as well, just so you could see what went into this 30sec of animation!

there is no real story to this just abit of animation for a creature i had set up a while back!

software used

3ds max 5.1
shaghair
afterburn
simcloth 2.53(for hair dyanamics)
photshop 6 (textures)
combustion 3 for compositing

all are Divx avi's in rar format!

NOW with SOUND! just redownload the move if you have seen it before

the final animation!

Griffon movie Now with sound and higher rez - 11.4meg

making of a creature!

Making of griffon movie no sound on this - 7.1meg

here are some hi rez stills of the original movie!

any comment or questions would be appreciated
anyway enjoy!

cheers

John Van der Zalm

Last edited by bloggs : 03 March 2005 at 06:01 AM. Reason: update with sound

12 December 2004
Thumbs up Good work Johno!

Ive seen the labour and love that has gone intot his work, great to see you made it so fine in the end well done

Sam

12 December 2004
woops!

heres the links again

http://www.kaffeineproductions.com/downloads/griffMOVIE(640x480)divx.rar

http://www.kaffeineproductions.com/...640x480divx.rar

Last edited by bloggs : 02 February 2005 at 06:32 PM. Reason: update links

12 December 2004
face detail

thanks sam!!

for more images

check out my griffon webpage

http://www.kaffeineproductions.com/griffon2.html

12 December 2004
looks awesome well worth the effort you've put into it

Twitter: salmonmoose

12 December 2004
Thumbs up

Holy ****ing crap.

That's amazingly beautiful...

Any tips on how you went about compositing the final 3D render with the sun and all of that??? I noticed a lot of overlapping of the sun's rays and that affecting your character... Any tips on how that was achieved???

12 December 2004
sunburst

thanks man

it was pritty simple, i ended up using a standard combustion lensflare without all the lens flare parts, just the sun burst, so it did not look to much like a lens flare as they can look cheezy sometimes. I did use a seperate hand painted layer and set it to effect the saturation of the underlying layer for some of the layers! the reson i put them on differnt layers was so i could control the saturation of them on the diferent parts!

here is the composite as an animated giff!

http://www.kaffeineproductions.com/...ds/sequence.gif

hope this isn't to confusing

by the way i forgot to tell every one the files sizes

its 6,7meg for the movie

and 7.1meg for the making of!

cheers

john

12 December 2004
Geat job, nailed the amosphere perfectly... and that hair

Thanks a bunch for the animated gif sequence, really breaks the scene down.

kick ass work!

12 December 2004
Thumbs up

Really awesome! Love the feathers and hair.....must have taken ages!

Very cool!

How long did the hair simulation take?

12 December 2004
Excellent job. I think the piece works very well on the whole. The hair animation looks great, and the lighting and compositing are just brilliant. One suggestion I have is that the creature's legs should be tucked in closer to it's body as it flies, rather than dangling below it. Birds do this to streamline thier bodies and reduce drag, making them more aerodynamic during flight. I think it would definitely help make the motion all the more believeable. Great job! Are you planning on adding sounds?

12 December 2004
I really like it very nice no crits, out of curiosity how long did this take to render

12 December 2004
Thumbs up

Hey John, great to see it finnished love the environment and the matte painting the texturing, animation, and fur on the Griffin looks fantastic too, looking forward to seeing the final result of your Minotour even more now, keep the great work coming man it rocks!!!

Last edited by ds : 12 December 2004 at 01:45 AM.

12 December 2004
Thumbs up

hi everyone thanks for the comments and feedback!

the hair simulation took about about 2.5 days to calulate so i sat there hope for no powercuts! hehe

however i had done alot of smaller pretests for the hair dynamics to makes sure i had everything working nicely it still took me afew goes to get the sim down right!

greg! yeah i agree with your coment! i the leags should be feather back mayself, however unfortunaltle i had already done my hair sim before i thought about it to much! if i had more time thats somthing i would have improved on!

the rendering times where pritty good in the the end! i was able to get my render time down to under 3 miuntes per frame! the only real problem i had was hitting the windows ram cap of 1.4gig and max would crash after 2 frames! but using max's network rendering got round this problem!

afew things i did to acheve this was!
- point caching all may meshes and i even managed to point caching my hair simulation witch ment max didn't have to transform any vert's at render time.
- the second thing i did was make sure max was not using Ram to render the textures but rather using a swap file! this actualy increased render time! but i was happy with 3 min per frame!

also i used the good old scanline render to render out everything i had about 8 lights, only 5 where casting shadows!

my machine specs are

amd 64 53fx chip
2gig ram (if your planing on doing hair this is a minimum requirment really)
sk8v MB
my graphics is 9800xt!

only one machine at this stage! i'm sure we could all do with 2-3 machines! hehe

anyway keep the comments and critscoming

cheers

john

12 December 2004
griffindor rules!!!

WOW Bloggs....you are a legend!! even in your own lunchbox there are rumors of you being a legend too!! so how did you make this amazing flying beast or did you take a photograph cos it looks too real to be CG? i saw a griffin once, i was on absenth at the time and mushrooms too but i did see it...i swears it!!, it was when i was playing quddich for griffindor!

good effort mate, i know how much time you spent away from your wife and friends to make this, not eating for days and never showering...you were a mess, a classic artist!

12 December 2004
Really good work.

Thread Closed share thread