Shadowman Character model wip

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2004   #1
Shadowman Character model wip

An update of a model I created for the game Shadowman2
4362 triangles
Looking for crits that could improve it.

Software used:
Maya, used artisan for nearly all the textures
and Photoshop for the jeans.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadFront.jpg (57.6 KB, 280 views)

Old 12 December 2004   #2
more images
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shadBack.jpg (53.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg shadWire.jpg (86.6 KB, 140 views)

Old 12 December 2004   #3
Hi rintintin,
Cool character you've got there. Two things pop up.

You have this gory skeleton fella, but none of his goriness is expressed on his clothing. The pants are dirty, which is good, but try adding some bloody stains, especially near the belt.

If the character isn't intended for close-up or cinematics, try reducing the poly count a bit. I can't really tell from the wired shot, but it looks like your characters teeth are individually modelled. If so, look into using a texture on a row of teeth to help with the poly count. (unless the teeth have large gaps between them)

Nice modeling and texturing job.

Old 12 December 2004   #4
Shadowman, the forever man! Hey, that brings back memories. Man, I got so lost in that game, the mazes were insanely hard.

Model is looking good. Can I see a closeup of the wire of the body? Can't tell what's modeled and what's an alpha.

WOW! You actually used Maya's artisan? How the heck u paint it so detailed? I can only do toon like character textures with artisan. Please, share the knowledge.

-pod

Old 12 December 2004   #5
Talking Some tips

Perhaps the shadowman should have some freeform animated internal organs hanging around in his abdominal cavity(Just a thought0 and perhaps one of the features of his face should be distorted(Just one) Such as one ear, half decayed or pehaps a rotted, blank eye?
Ur choice.

Old 12 December 2004   #6
Good idea about the blood and gore on the jeans, I might add that on as a layered texture.

Using artisan is great if you have a Wacom tablet and its a lot cheaper than buying a 3D paint package.

There are no alpha maps, its all model.

I tried internal organs but they just confused the eye. In game he had a glowing particle effect in the body cavity, a bit like a soul. His eyes emited particles too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closeup.jpg (86.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg closeup1.jpg (79.8 KB, 48 views)

Old 12 December 2004   #7
I love the dead man look, it really works. But Shadowman can definitely use some more maps, such as specular for the torn muscle and bloody parts, bump mapping to enhance the model with topographical detail, and emissive maps for the eyes...I have a character model that uses every map possible as an example. You can take a look at that as well... the focus here is on the blue light...

Old 12 December 2004   #8
Maya software/vector render
Photoshop post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cgtalk-shadowman.jpg (83.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg cgtalk-shadwire.jpg (85.2 KB, 48 views)

Old 12 December 2004   #9
Looking good. The blood you added around the knees is good, but I think it could use a little more where the gore meets the cloth. It currently looks too clean. Imagine you had a pretty bad cut on your lower abdomin. chances are that blood will drip down onto your pants and collect around the belt line. Now, your character's upper torso is all gore. some of that will inevitablly spill over and rub against the belt line. try experiementing with a bloodier belt-line.

Cheers

Old 01 January 2006   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread