CGTalk > Technical > Technical and Hardware
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 11-26-2004, 11:47 PM   #1
omer breiner
Mitsubishi DP 930SB monitor - problems

Have recieved Mitsubishi Diamondpro 930sb - Not happy. Monitor not "totally flat" as stated and blurry on text. Also pixel pitch can clearly be seen yielding unsmooth surfaces on workarea at 1280 by 1024 res (on a side note would like to hear from people with same model if have had similar experience or not).

I now need peoples recommendations as to which monitor to get for CG work (mostly Maya Photoshop compositing and a lot of reading). Price dictates I aim for something in the area of 19 inch crt or 17 inch lcd display. Still, would be happy to hear about your positive experience with any monitor setup.

Last edited by anevsky : 11-28-2004 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
A tft will do better in everything except in three areas (if you ask me).
A crt is:
1: cheaper
2: faster
3: better colour correction

In all other areas I would prefer a tft. They are sharper (fixed amount of pixels), the DVI connection is also more suited for tft's because of the fixed amount of pixels. Your eyes will thank you. There is no flickering, it's like watching a poster or something.
The new tft:s are not bad. You get better value for your money than before, the contrast ratios/color correction are more than decent for most people. Unless you're working in a very high-end environment (setting up for print etc.) you should be fine. The sreens are also becoming faster, a 12ms display will let you play the most intense fps games out there.

I don't know to much about the different models, which is better than the other. Samsung I've heard have some good stuff. I read about their new tft's just coming out. They're not the fastest but they have really good contrast ratios and at a good price. I would look deeper into that if I were you. They seem good for cg unless you need something really fast.
Just my two cents....good luck!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:19 PM   #3
Phong dude
Crt & lcd are different, but I think size does matter: prefer 20inch cft over 19inch lcd, or buy 2 cheap onces. You'll never be able to live with one less...
Old 11-28-2004, 06:42 PM   #4
If you look at the actual active screen size you'll notice that 19" tft/lcd is bigger than a 19" crt, don't know why but it is. So in other words a 19" tft will be approximately the same size as a 20" crt (could even be bigger).
I'm thinking in the terms of getting one good tft and then later on getting a bad one as well. The good one for the critical color correct/speed demanding areas and the worse one for displaying tools and all other clutter.
Wax-on, Wax-off
Old 11-29-2004, 11:20 PM   #5
omer breiner
I must choose between: samsung 959nf
Philips 109p40
viewsonic g220f or g90f
ibm p260

Old 01-20-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread