Coronado movie FX shots

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2002   #1
Coronado movie FX shots

Posted by Brandon Davis on the Discreet support forum:

It looks like the "Coronado" website is officially up now. If you saw my presentation at SIGGRAPH, then a lot of this will be familiar but expanded upon. How does this relate to MAX? There are nearly 600 VFX shots created by a small handful of MAX artists and compositors.

Here's a link to the site:
http://www.coronadothemovie.com

And a link to the press release about Uncharted Territory, the production company behind the film:

http://www.uemedia.com/CPC/article_1115.shtml

-------------------

(Not to mention the trailer is pretty slick)

Old 08 August 2002   #2
Aaahhhhhh helicopters!

Amazing how much helicopters they have crammed in this trailer....

This stuff is like p0rn for me!

Old 08 August 2002   #3
lol

Well you know the osprey's are all CG. No way in hell they could survive going through a waterfall. Plane has a nasty habit of crashing under normal circumstances.

Old 08 August 2002   #4
looks like they have given the whole film

away in the trailer, despite the profficient CG effects it looks a little daft, a very thin story...

Old 08 August 2002   #5
away in the trailer, despite the profficient CG effects it looks a little daft, a very thin story...

Who cares man.....it has gazillions of helicopters!

Old 08 August 2002   #6
Lots of helicopters...

Yes, there's quite a lot of helicopters, jets, explosions and other things smashing and crashing. That's what made it a fun project!

Last edited by BrandonD : 08 August 2002 at 07:02 PM.

Old 08 August 2002   #7
will there be a dvd or is it cinema release ?

Old 08 August 2002   #8
I hope there's a cinema release. It looks great projected at 2k. If you read the News section on www.coronadothemovie.com they'll tell you the status of the film.

Oh and when the DVD is released there will be lots of goodies

Old 08 August 2002   #9
Like an audio commentary by Brandon Davis?

That'd be cool

Wiro

Old 08 August 2002   #10
Quote: October 19-22 Volker & Marc will give a “Making Of” presentation at eDIT 2002 in Frankfurt, Germany

hmm sounds nice but october damn my holidays in december so i cant join that would be nice to watch that

Old 08 August 2002   #11
I did two "3D VFX of Coronado" presentations each day at the Discreet booth at SIGGRAPH. Most of the stuff I showed was 3d breakdowns of several key shots. Normally I'd show the shot, then show the wireframe scene, element breakdowns, etc. Basically talked about some of the techniques and whatnot. The thing that still gets most people is that the 3D was done with just a few people and 3ds max out of the box. We only used 2 commercial plugins: Afterburn and Texture Layers, no crazy customized pipeline - although that would have been nice.

Old 08 August 2002   #12
Yeah, I really don't get what this movie is about, looks pretty gay...

Girl needs to find some guy, guy ends up in jungle with rebels, girl helps rebels win against oppressive leaders and becomes a symbol of their revolution?

Gaaaayyyyy

Effects are third rate too.

edit: Lemme tweak that comment a bit before some newb flames me... For being a movie they're trying to push as a cinema-quality film, the effects are third rate. It looks like a good NBC miniseries or HBO movie.

Last edited by Matt : 08 August 2002 at 11:23 PM.

Old 08 August 2002   #13
Okay, yes. We do have a lot of cool helicopter shots, and they look very top drawer...

BUT, speaking as someone who edits trailers, it becomes waaaay too obvious that this one is headed up by people who think VFX first, and story.... um... story?

It seems like they spent more time working on "interactive smoke on chopper #12 in shot 28F" than they did on the whole script.

And if I'm wrong, then who's the idiot that forgot to put the story in the trailer?

If the idea here is to make an independant look like a big studio film, well... If you count shooting your whole wad in the trailer, then yes, this one's right up there with the $200 million blockbusters.

Sorry to rag on it so much, but I'm a firm believer in both "Story first" and "Get your trailer right!" (like ya couldn't tell)

-Tom

Old 08 August 2002   #14
Well, as I haven't seen the trailer on the big screen yet but only in the small QT window I'd find it hard to critisize the effects. I found them quite nice to be honest.

As for story...hm yeah, but I hope to be positively surprised. Actually it takes me back to the 80s and Michael Douglas

Wiro

Old 08 August 2002   #15
Re: looks like they have given the whole film

Quote: Originally posted by JINN

I can remember a litte upstart CG film company who thought their
800 seat SGI renderfarm, effects shots and Uber plugged seats of MAYA
would cause the great unwashed masses to be so AWESTRUCK
that they simply would not notice that the storyline was so LAME as to be nearly unwatchable

Hmmm... what was their name ?????

Oh yeah!!................. Square USA

Thread Closed share thread