Install R9 Upgade...proper way?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
Install R9 Upgade...proper way?

I have 8.5 and Bodypaint R2 on may machine already. I've ordered the R9 upgrade and my BP "update." Is there anything I need to do when installing the upgrade?

Thanks...

11 November 2004
The R9 installers are completely independent from any former R8 installation. Just run the main R9 installer and all R9 module installers you have. Older R8 modules can not be installed in R9.
Cheers
Srek

11 November 2004
Hi Bobzilla,
I don't think it is an upgrade, it's a new install. They can run side by side with no problem (EULA debate aside). I don't think it matters if Bodypaint is a module or stand alone, it too , like MOCCA and AR had to be redone.
I, thankfully, have had few problems with installs or upgrades of any of my apps. From what's been reported from others is 1) use back-up's 2) default install paths.
I thought you were holding off on upgrading? Between Cinema 9 and MotionBuilder 6 upgrades and a fleet of other new app's no matter how far up the learning curve I go it always looks like a circle from here. I'm not complaining mind you:-)
Enjoy
Sam

11 November 2004
Thanks guys.

Yeah I was holding off. I misunderstood the cost of the upgrade and thought it was much more and didn't think I would be using a lot of the new features, but I made the mistake of downloading the demo and, well you had me at HUD!

I tested the few plugins I use and with the exception of Mesh Surgery (soon, I hope??), they all work in R9.

Also, I figure nobody ever knows what to get each other for Christmas, so they can all chip in for the upgrade!

One quick questions: Can n-gons be turned off globally so R9 works like R8??

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by bobzilla: One quick questions: Can n-gons be turned off globally so R9 works like R8??
Nope, you can turn them off individualy for every tool that can create n-gons.
On the other hand n-gons are nothing evil. During modelling they tend to be handy, just use "Remove N-gons" when you want to make sure that none is left.

Cheers
Srek

11 November 2004
Thanks, Srek. I just want to make sure the poly object will subdivide properly when placed in a HyperNURBS object. I know you should avoid tris when using HN, so I assumed you shouldn't have n-gons, either.

The models will be character that will be animated, if that makes a difference.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread