ZBrush learning DVD available

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
ZBrush learning Video available

Check it out at digital-tutors. The CD is supposed to contain over 3.5 hours of instruction.

[Edit: The video from digital-tutors discussed in this thread comes on a CD, not a DVD. I made a mistake in the thread title , but can't change the title. However, on December 15, 2004, gnomon will release 3 new DVDs on ZBrush - Introduction to ZBrush by Meats Meier, ZBrush Production Pipeline by Meats Meier, and Digitial Sculpting:Human Anatonmy - ZBrush to Maya workflow by Zack Petroc.

Maya is being used as the example 3D app in the pipeline, but they say the techniques demonstrated can apply to other 3D applications as well.]

Last edited by gameboy : 12 December 2004 at 04:23 PM.

11 November 2004
great,any where in uk that has this?

11 November 2004
this doesn't look much better than the practical guide. Other than it being a video instead of a PDF, why buy it?

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by Goon: this doesn't look much better than the practical guide. Other than it being a video instead of a PDF, why buy it?

I agree. Also the cover art doesn't make justice to Zbrush 2's power.
Anyway... Will hold on for Meats Meier's Gnomon DVD's.

11 November 2004
Extremely Disappointed before even Viewing !

Extremely Disappointed before even Viewing !

Are you sure there is a .... ZBRUSH DVD ?????

DVD ?????

I was sent a QuickTime CDROM.

Probably fool on me for not reading at their site. I'll double check. I'm getting more pissed by the minute. The Digital Tutors page is not very upfront about the format. I just realized that the DVD expectation was SET HERE ! and then I never saw mention of the format until it arrived. Stupid me ! Stupid Them ! Stupid Everyone ! But first and foremost buyer beware.

I wanted to sit in my living room and watch this in my easy chair.

Last edited by markyjerky : 11 November 2004 at 11:05 PM.

11 November 2004
well dvd or quicktime..not concerned about format so much as the content and teaching on the disc iitself...i've ordered this to see if z brush 2.0 is worth buying and if this can give me a "leg up" into using z brush without reading 100's of pages in a pdf...

so placed order and will let you know if it's worth the price when i go thru it.

steve g

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by Reyes: great,any where in uk that has this?

Just order it from DT's US site. I'm based in London and ever time I order something from DT it arrives within the week. Must say, next to Gnomon, DT is my favourite training group.

11 November 2004
yeah their stuff looks good [seen some maya stuff]..interested in z brush to work with 3dsmax4.26/xsi 4.0 and lightwave 8.2 on a film project making uber detailed characters if possible...i also hear that z brush ships with ZERO printed manuals so will need something like this to get up n running without hassles...i ordered from the website..no problemo and it's on it's way to u.k to me as we speak!

though books/pdfs are good they ususally miss things out and windup users in the proccess..i prefer to look and learn than read the learn..ideal for a visual/animated progam.
i teach 3d at notts college and create video tutorials rather than printed as they can't fail but show ALL the details of a tutorial....not like printed books with mis spelling and parts skipped over to save space etc...

looking forward the to training disc.

...then i can decide on wether to buy Z brush 2.0.

can't decide from using 1.55demo...it's totally different app by the looks of it.

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by cresshead:
...then i can decide on wether to buy Z brush 2.0.

can't decide from using 1.55demo...it's totally different app by the looks of it.
Take it from me, if you even remotely like the 1.55 demo you'll love version 2.0. I use it alongside Maya, but that's irrelevent. Get version 2 today.

BTW, I just got a reply on the Pixologic ZBrush Forum, and they're about to offer their excellent Practical Guide in printed form - useful for those long tube journeys...

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by Reyes: great,any where in uk that has this?

I ordered mine on tuesday and got it on friday. You are better ordering it straight from the US cuz the exchange rate is pretty good at the minute. It cost me about 32. I've only started going through it so I'll get back to you when I've sussed it out.

C4D XL, ZBrush, Motion Builder

11 November 2004
it's pretty basic and doesn't teach you a huge set of new things. The stuff he taught had very little to none interest to me whatsoever. This can very well be learned of the zscripts that zbrush freely has to offer.

Though I must say the tutorials do come with a few tips. Purchase this only if you've never set a foot in zbrush.

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by CgMonkey: it's pretty basic and doesn't teach you a huge set of new things. The stuff he taught had very little to none interest to me whatsoever. This can very well be learned of the zscripts that zbrush freely has to offer.

Though I must say the tutorials do come with a few tips. Purchase this only if you've never set a foot in zbrush.

Yep I agree. There's not a lot here that the manuals don't tell you. If you are brand new to Zbrush and you prefer video tutorials to reading manuals, then get this, it's clearly explained and it will get your work flow off to a good start. There are a few critical points that never got from the manual or the online forum but I'm in two minds if it was worth the money.
Digital tutors has a 25% off sale so it should be a bit cheaper.

Last edited by jimzepellin : 11 November 2004 at 07:18 PM.

11 November 2004
this cdrom/dvd sounds ideal for people like me who have an intersit in z brush but want to learn the basics fast adn without toomuch time spent in books or reading from the screen a pdf...i'v ordered it and it's now on its way...once i go thru i i can decide to either get z brush or skip it...batter that buying and finding out that it's "not for you"...

if it's a "goer" i'll be usiing it with lightwave8.01, xsi 4.0 foundation and 3dsmax 4.26 with character studio3.2

the angler fish video sure sold me the idea that i ought to take a closer look at it.

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by cresshead: this cdrom/dvd sounds ideal for people like me who have an intersit in z brush but want to learn the basics fast adn without toomuch time spent in books or reading from the screen a pdf...i'v ordered it and it's now on its way...once i go thru i i can decide to either get z brush or skip it...batter that buying and finding out that it's "not for you"...

if it's a "goer" i'll be usiing it with lightwave8.01, xsi 4.0 foundation and 3dsmax 4.26 with character studio3.2

the angler fish video sure sold me the idea that i ought to take a closer look at it.

If you are new to Zbrush then this will get you straight to the nitty gritty. I've had Zbrush a few months now and if I'd had this disc when I started it would have been great. I already had 90% of the information on the disc so it didn't seem such a good deal for me. I think there should have been a bit more material in there.
Zbrush is quite hard to get started with, but I can't recommend it enough. Once you learn a few simple rules you can get into some real detailed modeling.

11 November 2004
I can recommend this video tutorial.

I've been meaning to make a start with Z-Brush for months, but the interface never made sense to me, and I just didn't have the time to sit down and work through the manual.
After watching these videos a lot more about the interface makes sense and has given me the incentive to make time to learn more.

True, it's just for beinners, but then again I'm a beginner

Thread Closed share thread