Translucency as alpha map

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2004   #1
Translucency as alpha map

Hi all.

Is it possible in max to render something that is translucent or semi-transparent (ie: transparency slot in ray traced material set to middle shade of grey) and have that translucency reflected as a shade of grey in the alpha map? so far all I've been able to do is get a black and white alpha map no middle grounds.

Old 11 November 2004   #2
can u be more specific? I really didn't understand it when u start talking about transluncency.

Old 11 November 2004   #3
As far as I can tell, you can't get proper alpha maps from a raytraced material. I'd suggest looking at alternative shaders for your objects; where a raytraced glass material gave me a flat b&w alpha channel, the mental ray 'glass' shader gave me a very clear alpha map with ranging intensities.
I'd love to find a way to get good alpha maps out of raytraced materials though...

Good luck.

Last edited by -Vormav- : 11 November 2004 at 02:01 PM.

Old 11 November 2004   #4
Good idea...sorta, because the material I was using I had used falloff for the transparency. Which I dont' think the glass material in MR supports right?

Old 11 November 2004   #5
mr glass does support a falloff for the translucecy, and the transparency. When you select the mental ray glass shader you have to add a falloff to the transparency value.

Old 11 November 2004   #6
You must be on max 7? I have max 6 and there's no map slot for transparency...everything is manual.

Old 11 November 2004   #7
EvilArcana - Start a new 'mental ray' material, and add 'glass (lume)' as the surface shader. In the glass (lume) shader options, if you scroll all the way to the bottom, you should have many map slots for transparency and translucency. This was in 3ds Max 6.

Old 01 January 2006   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread