Softimage XSI student promo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2002   #1
Softimage XSI student promo

Softimage rules the school

Softimage has created a new educational version with a permanent license for non-commercial use.

Students purchasing SOFTIMAGE|XSI between now and October 31, 2002, will get SOFTIMAGE|XSI Advanced v.2.0 for the price of XSI Essentials, and you’ll get the upgrade to version 3.0 when it releases, at no additional charge (via web download) for only $495.

The previous version was only a one year license.

Old 08 August 2002   #2
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

Excuse me while I just run to my lecturers (who were waiting for version 3) to scream at them to 'BUT IT NOW"

Old 08 August 2002   #3
no fair I just took my last class ever.:thumbsdow

DWIII Entry

Old 08 August 2002   #4
LightWave 3D has always offered a permanent license with our educational version, currently priced at $395, and that version is not limited in any way nor watermarked. It is the full commercial version in every way except the included piece of paper that describes the educational non-commercial use license terms. Always has been. We also offer what was for many years the only educational version that allowed a student to upgrade to a commercial license without having to just outright buy the commercial product at full price, and no doubt still have the least expensive terms for conversion - just buy an upgrade at commercial upgrade price when an upgrade comes around.

Sure took them quite a few years to follow us on that permanent license thing.

And you know, I'm not aware that anyone's educational version that you would actually have to purchase is watermarked or otherwise feature limited (other than SI and most others timed out after one year), so they seem to be wanting folks to think the comparison to consider is between the $495 or $795 SI ed purchase and other folk's free demo editions. Now there's a concept!
http://www.newtek.com

Old 08 August 2002   #5
That's my plan Chuck. I currently purchased LW 7.5 student for $395, and later going to buy the next up grade (when I'm ready) for a commercial lic. for the difference in from the student .

Old 08 August 2002   #6
hey not, son't start mistakening the student XSI and experience XSI. if you get student licence for xsi it is a copy of commercial one and experience xsi got limitations for apparent reason of being free.

Old 08 August 2002   #7
Yeah, I think Chuck made a mistake there. The XSI experience CD is simply a demo version, with almost full functionality. While the Student version of XSI offers everything the commercial version does, for under $500, you just are restricted from making money out of it, otherwise it's the same as the commercial version.

Does Newtek offer a free version of their software?
I think Discreet doesn't, it wouldn't surprise me that most of the other major 3D apps don't have free demo versions out there.
Let alone be downloadable.
A demo version of Maya is downloadable, but I read that its watermarks are a tad rediculous, even on the viewports, it gets very annoying working with those logos on top of your scenes.

Check out the Latinamerican Thread

Old 08 August 2002   #8
Both Softimage XSI Experience and Maya Personal Learning Edition have watermarks in the viewports and renderer. XSI's is more subtle and less obnoxious, yes.

A few months ago Lightwave announed a free "discovery edition." But as far as I know a download link never appeared. You can still download their old demo from their ftp site which doesn't allow saving.

discreet of course started this whole mess of releasing downloadable "useable" (lets you save your work) versions of 3d software with gmax. I'm not a max fan, but I have to give discreet credit for targeting gmax for game mod development. All the hobbyists who want to make mods for the latest PC games are gonna download gmax, and when they're good enough to get a job they're gonna want to use 3ds max. Whereas with all these new demos are probably going to be used in much the way the old ones were, product evaluation. They're useless to a student like me, who wants to take school projects and work on them at home. Oh well.

Old 08 August 2002   #9
Oh, and now I think Maya is the only software that has a 1 year license for their student software. C'mon A|W!

Old 08 August 2002   #10
I wonder what Maxon's gonna do...

The base price for Cinema4DR8 is $595 (on par with most "learning editions") and extremely capable software. (and it never crashes )

Old 08 August 2002   #11
Hehe... going a /bit/ offtopic here, but here is the link for the Lightwave Discover Edition:
http://www.newtek.com/discovery.html

Old 08 August 2002   #12
HEHE it's kinda funny that soon as we cheer about the new XSI student pricing, people start shouting that their Fav software's student pricing is just as good or better
*cough* Damn Lightwavers again *cough* *cough*

"Wigaru Wiyamoto: Oh, and now I think Maya is the only software that has a 1 year license for their student software. C'mon A|W!"

Are sure that's true man?
Cause the uni I go to recently got like close to 20 copies of maya unlimited for about $7000 AUS. Don't think they are one year licenses either, but I'll have ta check.
If so, they are damn FOOLS

Old 08 August 2002   #13
i remember when i demoed mirai. it was the full thing. literally. every single thing that came on the ful version is on the demo cd. except the license ran only for 30 days. i could save...export..import the whole deal. very good stuff. ( this was over 2 years ago ) then when i bought mirai for 780 ( student/1 year/renewable for free for 4 years ) i was told i could upgrade any time i graduated for 780 for a full commercial copy. ( tho i got a nice gift from them 3 months later ) but we all know how that turned out >_<!!!!grrr

Old 08 August 2002   #14
AW, they should just make us a good plugin modeller for every platform.

I would BUY that in a heartbeat!

Old 08 August 2002   #15
? why just the modeler?
you should see their skele/ animation tools
but even then. that would be raping a perfectly good software. ( youd know what i meant if you used it

Thread Closed share thread