Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Michael Ward

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #1
Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Michael Ward

Michael Ward has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Concept Crew Transport

This model sucks a lot, but it gives an impression of the overall shape i'm chasing for this one. This craft would carry assault shuttles and drop ships and have expansive crew transport and training facilities.
I fancy i'll try and recreate it using less polygons - this POS has like 60k and theres no details at all.

Old 10 October 2004   #2
Great to be here

Last edited by MickW : 10 October 2004 at 07:54 AM.

Old 10 October 2004   #3
First major post here... looking forward to getting into the action.

Sketches are forthcoming, along with a description of the idea.

Old 10 October 2004   #4
Lack of ship sketches

OK, i did a couple of ship sketches to get myself into gear...
However, since i'm a new member, it seems i cant post attachments just yet

So, instead, i'll post some details. Here's the background story:

Basicly, its a story of human conflict after the near destruction of Earth. A brief thermonuclear exchange reduced vast parts of the Earth to virtually nothing, and the human race was forced to survive in remote areas, underground, and in tiny communities in space and on the moon. After hundreds of years, the two original factions that triggered the conflict (the Unity Coalition and Joint Eastern Confederation) began to rebuild for another. However, they decided that from that point on, all conflict would take place elsewhere - never again would a weapon be fired on the planet Earth.

This lead to rapid advances in space travel technology. Other systems were swiftly occupied, and the UN and JEC starfleets grew exponentially. However... it was many years before the first Terran (or Earthlike) planet was discovered. It was claimed by Unity forces, but its only inhabitants were peaceful colonists from Earth. But the treaty offered no cover, and the JEC invaded the planet, which was called Gaia II, and wrested control of the surrounding system from the UN.

The system became a warzone. Thousands of ships were destroyed, and millions of lives were lost. Eventually, the UN won control of the system back, but at a terrible cost.
At this point, the two factions ratified a new treaty - Terran worlds would fall under the same protection as Earth.
As a result, control of any given Terran world depended on control of the surrounding system. Territorial dominance became paramount. Soon after, the JEC found another world, which was named Gaia III, and set about fortifying the surrounding planets. A precedent was set, in which all non-terran worlds became Fortresses of industrial and military might.

This would lead to total war on a grand scale.

The scene i intend to build is centred on the imminent JEC invasion of a Fortress world near a Terran planet - thousands of ships on each side, in a faceoff over territory.

As soon as i get the permissions to do so, i'll post some sketches

Last edited by MickW : 10 October 2004 at 12:42 PM.

Old 10 October 2004   #5
Early ship designs - partial sketches

Take that office firewall!

OK, most of these are just little doodles i made during smoko and at lunchtime. Went over them with a ballpoint and hijacked the office scanner for 10 minutes, and here they are

EDIT: Removed the images for bandwidth reasons

Last edited by MickW : 12 December 2004 at 04:07 PM.

Old 10 October 2004   #6
Thumbs up

hey, what's going on man, your off to a nice start, can't wait to see more.

Old 10 October 2004   #7
looking good !

ps: i really really like the words "smoko" and "thermonuclear" :P

Old 11 November 2004   #8
MickW
Welcome a board mate!
Nice storyline you have there Michael.
Indeed it`s ahuge scale scene you`ll gonne build with this concept.
I`m curious about the entire concept scene.
Pretty good ship sketch, especially for using as a background. It seems you have a lot of details there.
And with two huge fleets near the Fortress you`ll have also a huge polycount scene. Curious how you`ll manage that.
Keep it up!

Old 11 November 2004   #9
Hey thanks for the comments!

rashaverak: "smoko" is slang basicly a short break for a hot drink and a cigarrette - i myself dont smoke, but i take advantage of the gap

PROctavian: Probably going to have to render stuff out as layers and comp it together later - probably melt my CPU otherwise

The scanner here at work is bust ATM, so it might be a few days before my new sketches get to be seen.....

Old 11 November 2004   #10
Well, still no scanner...

Started modelling though, based on one of those sketches i posted earlier. They're pretty simple - mostly just shape concepts.

First, a heavy cruiser sized ship:

And then an interceptor based on the same design:

Old 11 November 2004   #11
Great start bud.

Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Old 11 November 2004   #12
Good luck mick !

lightwave or modo on this ?

Old 11 November 2004   #13
Interesting concept, my friend

Looking forward to seeing how this develops... guess this means Das Prinz is on hold even longer hehe

prdobson.com | Join the Military 3D community at Military Meshes

Old 11 November 2004   #14
great start

looks like a great start very detailed... ... oh and good luck man =)

Old 11 November 2004   #15
Hey guys, been pretty quiet this last week - but not to worry.

Check back tomorrow, i got a lot done over the weekend

Thread Closed share thread