cinema9 - OSX - 64bit

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
cinema9 - OSX - 64bit

asked myself if the new cinema version supports the 64bit of a mac G5?
didnt find an(quick) answere on the maxon page or using the cgtalk search.

thnx
mimo

10 October 2004
as far as I know, nope.

10 October 2004
In the cinebench html page (maxon.de/pages/download/cinebench.html), Maxon says:
"CINEBENCH 2003 G5 is a technology study. MAXON has optimized crucial parts of the render engine for the G5 with the support of Apple, which now reaches speed increases of approximately 20%. Further improvements are expected once an optimized compiler with G5 support is available, which shall produce efficient and reliable G5 code.
We will release updates of CINEMA 4D and BodyPaint 3D as soon the final compilers and tools are available that allow us to produce accelerated, G5-optimized production-quality versions of our programs"

I suppose this is an Apple thing!

10 October 2004
G5 optimised is not the same as 64 bit support. First the OS needs to be 64 bit (Tiger: http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/64bit.html) then the applications need to be recompiled. At least thats what I understand of this

10 October 2004
Even the OS doesn't fully support the 64bit of the G5 yet, that's what Tiger (10.4) is about I think.

R9 does have some 'hand done' optimisations equivalent to those in the Cinebench 2003 update, but as we recently discovered (in an R9 thread here) when the demo was released, that doesn't add up to a whole buch of speed gains yet, and you'll be hard pushed to find that extra 20% increase in most renders tested against previous 8-8.5 versions.

Having said that, Cinema and a new G5 work and render bloody fast anyway, so don't get hung up on needing everything to be optimised/64bit savvy yet - it will be a bonus when it is all in place I am sure.

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2004
C4D cannot be 64 bit until the OS is. A working 64 bit OSX isnt expected for a while yet.

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by imashination: C4D cannot be 64 bit until the OS is. A working 64 bit OSX isnt expected for a while yet.

Early to mid next year apparently.

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2004
thnx everybody for those competent answeres.
... for me it is honestly moer to etimate the time when applications that are capable of the 64bit technology will come out.

cinema ist the 3D app that was the last doing a bigger update, but reading your answeres it seems that other packages will not come out with a 64 bit soution too soon.

changes may come when tiger is there or when there will be a windows version supporting it (boring)

thnx & cu

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread