U.S. Trailer For "Spirited Away" (quicktime)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2002   #1
U.S. Trailer For "Spirited Away" (quicktime)

Hope this is relevant enough, there is CG in it, and cg ink/paint..

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/spirited_away.html

As a warning, it shows considerably more than the original trailers, but I don't think it'll make it any less amazing when seeing it here finally.

It's not available on legitemate import DVD yet, is it?

Anyway, just passing this along and passing by, back to being spirited away by being very sick and working..

Old 08 August 2002   #2
Mana oh man Can't wait for Disney to start shippy the Ghibli Films, nice to see they are starting with Sen Chihiro, but what a terrible trailer, Having seen the movie fourtimes, I cna tell you they have a lot of good spoiilers inthere, talk about sloppy trailer makin, have the movie is given away. Still definitely can't wait, as the only english version I have seen is an illegal (I assume fandubbed) version since as you mentioned there are no legit english versions in north america, France has a released vershion but I doubt it has english subtitles, still it is so enjoyable, watching it in Japanese with no subtitles (a school mate has the Japanese DVD) in our schools theatre twice was fantastic, what an amazing film, I believe this is Myazaki's best, Got the perfect combo of Ghibli's amazing spirit of a child and fantasy mixed with their amazing drama and action. Its like taking the best of Totoro and Nausicaa and putting it into one. Funny how different Mononoke e hime is compared to all myazaki and ghiblis other films for its more mature story and characters. anyways can't wait.

Old 08 August 2002   #3
looks very good, digging for some more info right now

Old 08 August 2002   #4
Actually, what most of you guys don't seem to know is this...

The original Japanese Ghibli DVD's contain all audio tracks, meaning...you buy the Japanese DVD and get a bunch of different spoken languages on the same DVD (Japanese English French), same goes for the subtitles...

As for Spirited Away, i believe it is or will be available soon.

And DON'T wait for the Disney releases, trust me, i own own the Disney version of Mononoke Hime and i must say (and i've seen it on 3 film festivals as none Disney versions (before Disney got it's grubby fat fingers on it )), i've NEVER ever in my life seen such a piss poor translation job on subtitles (let alone the horrible english dub)

Old 08 August 2002   #5
what ?!?!?

U mean it hasn't been released in the states yet ?!?

it seems so far away for me now !!!!

It's amazing !!!!

(but I prefer Totoro and Porco Rosso )

You can fin the Japanese DVD in a lot of shops here !!!

with english subtitles...but no english track if I remember...

Last edited by baby : 08 August 2002 at 03:40 PM.

Old 08 August 2002   #6
That is great, I love his movies and now this one.
I like the fact that the story is not that of a juicy Disney nature....

Anyway I'm looking forward to this one!!!

Old 08 August 2002   #7
the disney version executive producer is John Lasseter, so maybe that is a good sign that the translation will be done well.

Old 08 August 2002   #8
Well, I saw this a few months ago.

I have to say it is damn good. I was very very impressed!!!

The animation is 1st class, his imagination has no limits.

A must see!!!

Old 08 August 2002   #9
Originally posted by red_oddity
Actually, what most of you guys don't seem to know is this...

The original Japanese Ghibli DVD's contain all audio tracks, meaning...you buy the Japanese DVD and get a bunch of different spoken languages on the same DVD (Japanese English French), same goes for the subtitles...

As for Spirited Away, i believe it is or will be available soon.

And DON'T wait for the Disney releases, trust me, i own own the Disney version of Mononoke Hime and i must say (and i've seen it on 3 film festivals as none Disney versions (before Disney got it's grubby fat fingers on it )), i've NEVER ever in my life seen such a piss poor translation job on subtitles (let alone the horrible english dub)

Spirited away should be out very soon, and as for the DVD's yes many of the films in the box set have english subs and dubs on them but not all the films (most of the smaller not feature pieces don't for example) And as for the miramax north american release, Well they got an amazing cast and blew it big time, but seriously whens the last time you saw an anime with a good english dub? Metropolis? well NTB but still not great, Macross plus? nope not there either. Seriously to get the most out of your Anime and especially Ghibli movies wathc them with Japanese and have english subtitles, trust me Grave of fireflies is ten times more powerful just with the infleciton in the Japanese actors voices. Unfotunately Disney won't be releasing that one you can try and find the hard to get Central Park Media one but it cost me $60 canadian which is a lot for a DVD with no extra festurees other than character gallery. And yeah the translatioin of the subtitles isn't top notch either, funny thing is the english dub and the subtitles don't match either

Lildragon here is all the info you need: http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/disney/#works

Old 08 August 2002   #10
Spirite Away

I'm really biased, but I really have to recommend Spirited Away to any american artist involved in the medium of animation or film, or any visual story telling medium. It is a brilliant film, as most all of Miyuzaki's works are. I've seen most all of his films, and they are truly inspirational. I hope Disney will release some of his older works here in the US, they are brilliant. Spirited Away is availible in Japan on DVD, so if you have a region 2 player, you can purchase the DVD on e-bay. I believe it will be released in US theatres in september.

Old 08 August 2002   #11
Great movie!

I' ve seen it on an openair-cinema

Old 08 August 2002   #12
Some of the environments were created and rendered out with
XSI 2.0's awesome cell shaders....check it out here

http://www.softimage.com/Community/...ue_1/Ghibli.htm

Last edited by skello : 08 August 2002 at 03:57 PM.

Old 08 August 2002   #13
This Movie is one of the best Ghibli did! I love the story and all the details in it!

When u look aroung u can find some rips from that movie..

Old 08 August 2002   #14
Best animation-film ever

This is the best feature lenght I've seen since the Iron Giant, the story, animation, design,..., just the non-conformistic way of Miyazakis working is wonderfull, ...,
Disney knows that, Pixar and PDI as well,
His films do very fine in Europe, children prefer them over Disney and others (Ice-Age was an exception, this was funny),
Jokes are visual, fine,..., not grotesque, stories are magic, there's depth, lacking in US-features today. Relations between characters are rude and fair, not 'sweetned out to make cry'.
The film isn't 'OverCut',
Design and composition are kept fresh. (anyone who looked through "the art of Monsters" can see there's something that passed away).

This film has his place on the shelf beside 'Nightmare Before Christmass' and 'The Yellow Submarine'.

Old 08 August 2002   #15
I watched this movie. Great animation. no doult.

however, i there is alot of japanese god and myths that i won't know. therefor there has alot of god and funny joke that i don't understand.

compare to princess mononoke. i like mononoke better

Thread Closed share thread