Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Eric Browning

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Eric Browning

Eric Browning has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Final!!

DONE! Not that I couldn't noodle on it for three more months. I incorporated just about every comment I got except for the overall saturation change to warm it up, I wanted the girl to be the warmest spot and everything else to be cooler.

Can't..believe..it's done.

10 October 2004
Welcome to the challenge!

Ohh and good luck to ya!
Passing good, or eles black lead."

10 October 2004
Thanks, Jarhead!

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Thumbnails

Here are some thumbnails, with one brought up a bit (I'll post that seperately). I'll post a story blurb later to explain, but basically a child is playing on top of the remnants of a robot civilization, with a behemoth ship as a backdrop. I have children, and they could be at the zoo right next to the alligators but be enthralled by a bug on the ground- I like how they do that and am trying to convey that combination of being seemingly unaware of the "big picture" while being utterly focused on the tiny. I think it will help punch up the the big science fiction elements of the picture.
I work on paper, and then scan and develop further in Painter with my wacom. Thanks for looking!

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Concept sketch from thumbnail

Here's the further developed thumbnail I mentioned. I will do another pass or two at this stage, before moving on to the drawing.

10 October 2004
very cool. for some reason, i cant get the image of the little girl out of my head, but i keep thinking shes wearing the oversized helmet of a dead soldier on her head...

10 October 2004
helmet

You just made my night! I saw it as something she scrounged and put on, I'm glad it comes across.

10 October 2004
Woah - awesome concept - v.original.

I like this idea a lot. The fact that the girl is oblivious to the giant machine behind her, like you intended, draws the viewer into seeing the epic scale of the machine etc. It draws a lot of interest, it's something unusual, and is very very cool.

10 October 2004
Really great composition. Sketch very effective. I don't know the story BG enough but anyway..It's a really good start. The BG could have many different ways of course.
A big ship like that, which "crushes" the mood (the effect is strong) or, why not it's a suggest, a perspective..by opposition to the little girl...maybe a different focus..
There is a lot of emotion in this picture.

10 October 2004
Hey thanks!
What kind of different focus were you thinking? If I'm going to rethink anything now's the time.

11 November 2004
Great concept, I agree its got a very strong emotional sense. Just be careful when you come to placing your work with the ratio size (looks fantastic in this long narrow format) we have been given in this competition cause it might take away that strong focus on the kid when the surrounding areas are filled in with the final artwork. Like it a lot, all the best!

11 November 2004
When I talk about focus I mean the "point de vue", the "camera" (arh english...) you could put your camera higher and see a more vast scene, for example, a small displace of the main character(in the meantime that could reinforce the lonelyness), with all the elements of a space opera... don't forget the theme of the contest, "an iconic moment of a galactic civilization"...just a suggest of course, and my "point of view"
I'm clear ? sorry I'm french and my english is really bad..

11 November 2004
Goli-
Your English is better than my French, thanks for making the effort! I think we're thinking the same, I made some adjustments to push the scale even more and hopefully better address the "grand space opera" idea.

Ecura-
Thanks, and I'll go back and re-read the rules! I love this sort of aspect ratio, but I'd hate to get disqualified over it. I actually have a thumbnail I did yesterday that would wiiden the aspect and still retain the composition.

11 November 2004
Very nice sketches. gives me a good idea what to expect. I like the contrast between the large ominous machinary to the frail little boy/girl. One thing to consider; we shoudl get right away what the boy is doing through expression so that the viewers dont get thrown off.The angle of his of the boy/girl to the camera migh obscure his/her expression. maybe if he was 3quarters facing us. Looking good.

Good Luck. I'll be watching this one.

11 November 2004
Thanks, Rares-
It's going to be a little girl, and I think you're right, it needs to be clear what she's doing. She's drawing with chalk, and I'll need to work the angle a bit to get that across. For the final I'll get really solid photo reference because I think the picture will mostly succeed or fail based on that character.

Thread Closed share thread