CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVI - Grand Space Opera - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-21-2004, 05:07 AM   #1
Ichthus
Veteran
Jonathan Joseph Kui
Philippines

Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jonathan Joseph Kui

Jonathan Joseph Kui has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Hi, Im new at this and Im not really out to win but if I can then why not. Anyways I hope to improve alot just by being a part of this. My scanners busted so ill just tell you about my concept. Im thinking of enveloping the Space Opera theme with Oriental touch to it. Like samurai warlords or a Chinese Intergalactic Imperial Army. Ill post some stuff up as soon as i can.

Last edited by Ichthus : 10-24-2004 at 01:52 AM.

Old 10-24-2004, 12:51 AM   #2
Ichthus
Veteran
Jonathan Joseph Kui
Philippines

Hi, This is going to be my first challenge, and my first attempt at creating digital art. I dont know how this works exactly. Especially with the WIP posts. So if you guys could help me out, itll be greatly appreciated. My scanners broken as of now, so all I have is an idea to share with you. I was thinking of something oriental space, like a chinese or japanese space dynasty. Ill posts some work as soon as I can.

Old 10-24-2004, 06:01 AM   #3
Ichthus
Veteran
Jonathan Joseph Kui
Philippines

Concept Sketch: Concept sketch 1

Heres a concept sketch. Its about the 300. 300 brave warriors face off with some sort of beast. I dont really have a story behind it yet, but ill have one soon. The man in front in the war paint is supposed to be their general, well the projection of him anyway. I havent updated or accurately drawn the whole thing cause I wanted some feedback first. And i want to know if it fits the theme, so that I know whether to scrap it or not. thanks

Old 10-24-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
MechaHateChimp
O.G.

portfolio
Joel Carlo%2B%2B
Renaissance man
Barcelona, Spain

I like the idea of a samurai theme fighting a beast. But I think your shot of getting great feedback starts with a solid sketch of what you see in your head. Right now theres not much to go by. Keep adding to your concept and I know youll get the feedback youre looking for

Old 10-25-2004, 03:39 AM   #5
Ichthus
Veteran
Jonathan Joseph Kui
Philippines

Concept Sketch: Untitled

is this what you mean by a little more complete? anyways its like Thermopoly, 300 men sacrifice their lives for a greater cause. If this isnt waht you mean, Ill try for a more complete one with the next concept. God Bless.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:08 AM   #6
Ichthus
Veteran
Jonathan Joseph Kui
Philippines

Concept Sketch: 2::Return Home

Hi, I had this idea of these ships returning home. It seemed more spacey than my other ideas. I'm not happy yet though, I still prefer to have an oriental feel to it, tell me what you think.

God Bless.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:08 AM   #7
Ichthus
Veteran
Jonathan Joseph Kui
Philippines

Concept Sketch: Concept- retouched

Had some time to redo the background. Thats all that was changed.

Ok heres what im thinking, The two ships are owned by a clan whose Lord has the gift of prophecy, and that either when they return home he will be th dominant Lord for protecting them from foreign intrusions or find the planet in ruins, (in that case the planet should be reddish and look like its about to erupt) Thats the only oriental thing I thought of for it. If you guys have any ideas...Im dumbfounded. C&C

Old 10-26-2004, 04:17 AM   #8
Ichthus
Veteran
Jonathan Joseph Kui
Philippines

Concept Sketch: Concept- retouched

Had some time to redo the background. Thats all that was changed.

Ok heres what im thinking, The two ships are owned by a clan whose Lord has the gift of prophecy, and that either when they return home he will be th dominant Lord for protecting them from foreign intrusions or find the planet in ruins, (in that case the planet should be reddish and look like its about to erupt) Thats the only oriental thing I thought of for it. If you guys have any ideas...Im dumbfounded. C&C

Old 10-26-2004, 04:31 AM   #9
sidchagan
Frequenter

Sidharth Chaturvedi
Coral Gables, USA

Send a message via AIM to sidchagan Send a message via MSN to sidchagan Send a message via Yahoo to sidchagan
Size

The first concept was nice, but doesnt really seem suited to the theme.
The second one, however, looks like it'll turn out nicely. However, good as it is, if you arent going to add more ships to it, I recommend increasing the size of the background; since there are so few ships, the small amount of background seems to detract feel, while having lots more space would make it seem more grand.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:44 AM   #10
siufay

portfolio
Kent Chau
Just graduated
Richmond Hill , Canada

hey Ichthus! Cool stuff. Maybe you can combine the two concepts. With the warlord fighting the monster and have the spaceships come in the background as air support. Or bring one ship down to load up troops after the army defeated the monster. Well anyways, I'm new at this too....so i don't know much....but good luck man!

Old 10-26-2004, 01:52 PM   #11
Ichthus
Veteran
Jonathan Joseph Kui
Philippines

Sid - did you mean to make the planer bigger in the first one? or in the one where I redid the background? Thanks for the comment.

Slufay - Thanks, Ill think about if I can do it. Ill post some concept sketches on it as soon as I can.

Old 10-26-2004, 02:53 PM   #12
Oregano
serve with pasta

portfolio
Shane Watson
United States

Icthus, I agree with Sidchagen. The background needs to be more encompasing - Bring the world *much* closer, almost to the point where you are losing the arc. Let it dominate the picture.

If you don't want to do that, I would suggest bringing the ships closer - Make one of them dominate and let the others fall away - still there, but out at a distance. Perhaps having one framed by the world so the viewer gets a visual cue that this is where they are coming from.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
~Shane

Old 10-26-2004, 09:15 PM   #13
Ichthus
Veteran
Jonathan Joseph Kui
Philippines

Ok, gotcha. Ill change it as soon as I can for you guys to see.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:12 PM   #14
JTD
You want to live forever?

portfolio
John Thomas Delaney
Business Analyst
Bedford, VA, USA

I’ve got an idea for you: Create a samurai space suit (looks just like an old fashioned samurai battle suit except that it has a life pack, jet boots and a full faced helmet!). Then, instead of a space ship, put in your space beast heading for the planet and have the samurai attacking the beast using extremely long, curved swords—like 50 foot long. Hey, it’s space, it could happen. The original samurai were horsemen and they had curved swords that were over four feet long.

I relinquish all rights to this idea as I believe that it was your original intent anyway. Good luck my friend.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:08 AM   #15
Ichthus
Veteran
Jonathan Joseph Kui
Philippines

Concept Sketch: Concept - background changed.(again)

I changed the background and made the planet larger as suggested. I kinda like it better this, so my thanks goes to those that suggested it. Ill have the concepts adapted to the other suggestions soon for comparison. thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Good Luck

Thread Closed share thread