Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Steven Twist

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Steven Twist

Steven Twist has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Texturing: Cathedral Main Building Textures

Ok, here's the texture work I've done on the main building - I know it looks quite simple, but seeming as this is a background element, that will be lit with quite a dark blue, I didn't see it neccessary to spend lots of time working huge amounts of detail into it - especially as the deadline is fast approaching.

I'm not sure how big it'll be in the final image pixel wise, but it will probably be about 500-600 pixels high - which is quite large, sort of the same size as in the render here.

The rest of the cathedral shouldn't take too long as quite a bit can be made from duplicating a simple section.

Next update should be soon.

C&C welcome.

10 October 2004
Hi, a little about me:

My name's Steven Twist (obviously), and I'm 16 and live in the UK. 3D's always been a great hobby of mine, and I thought that I might as well give this challenge a go, even if it does seem that I'm up against the pros.

I'm doing my A-Levels at the moment, and once I've finished those I'd really like to go and study 3d animation at University, preferably at Bournemouth.

Don't go easy on me just 'cos I'm a kid, all C&C is welcome, and will be taken into consideration.

I've got my idea in my head, and will be putting it to paper shortly. I haven't quite decided how to go about putting it down, but I think I will do it as a watercolour and pencil piece, as I think this is probably the easiest way for me to get my ideas across.

I look forward to seeing the other entries develop, and hope to have my concept piece up within the next few days.

10 October 2004
welcome to the challange stevetwist, wish ya all the best and hope to c some gr8 works from ya mate...

10 October 2004
best of luck

10 October 2004
Thanks for the post Steve Go for it

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Final Concept Image

This is my concept for the challenge.

In the future, a galactic council have gathered together and deemed the human race unworthy of life in the galaxy. They see them as a virus, sprawling over the universe without giving back to it, and so have sentanced them all to death.

The final two humans, one male and one female remain. They are prepared for public execution. If and when they die, the human race will become EXTINCT!

These last two humans are up on a podium, surrounded by people from all different species. Some mechanical, some alien flesh, many a hybrid of the two. They sit in a stadium like arena, watching, anticipating the judge (Who will be visible on the giant, spherical screens)'s final verdict of mankind.

When he gives the order, electricity will be passed through the humans, resulting in death.

In the final image the sky will be cloudy, with sheet lightning, and there will be heavy rain, giving a very gloomy atmophere.

However, it is apparent that for some everyday life continues. There is a city visible in the background, with ships flying arround, carrying out their daily business.

It seems that humans are no longer the centre of attention in the universe.

This image was created by using pencil and watercolours. The different layers were then composited together in adobe photoshop.

Last edited by stevetwist : 10 October 2004 at 09:23 PM.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Final Concept - Depth of Field

Just a minor alteration...

I blurred the background, faking depth of field. This was just to make the concept image much easier on the eyes.

Hopefully it makes things a lot clearer now.

10 October 2004
Seems interesting Steve

What about a pregnant woman to make the image more dramatic? or giving some hope by showing in the multitude a couple of disguised human children horrorized?

I will keep track of your progress, good luck and thanks for your comments in my thread

10 October 2004
The two human children in the crowd idea is quite an interesting one. I could add them so that only if you really search do you see them - but then this would be too much like "Where's Wally" - which would suck. On the other hand, if I did add them I wouldn't want them to stand out too much, because that would probably ruin the impact of the piece.

I dunno, I'll have to give some serious thought to that idea.

As for the pregnant woman idea, I think that might be a little too sick. I mean, I thought the public execution resulting in the extinction of the human race was pushing the boundaries of what might be acceptable, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, and no probs with the comments on your thread, I too will keep track of your progress.

Cheers,
Steve

10 October 2004
interesting concept, and i would really like to see the first wips of this

10 October 2004
Thanks, I do have a sketch that I did before drawing it and painting it. But it is basically the same composition. I dunno about you, but I just thought about my idea for a few hours (whilst doing my paperround, lol) and once I had a concept, I just tried to visualise it in my head. I then left it a day, came back, and looked at what I had in my head, thinking about how it looked - and then just drew it.

I will be doing some more sketches of the characters, and of the person who'll be on the screens. Also of the people in the crowd.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the human children in the crowd idea (by Climax) Eclisod, as I'm unsure as to whether this is a clever idea, or if it would ruin the impact of the piece (as the main impact is supposed to be that the human race will become extinct).

10 October 2004
I think that this is giving conflicting messages. If the human race has been sytematically hunted down and killed for ecological reasons I would buy into a more technologially advanced species or grouping bumping us off in a detached clinical manner. That gives pause for thought but the aliens are into public execution of something they consider to be no more than an animal. That makes them worse than us, a bunch of galactic basger baiters. I'd want to kill the low life.

If you go for the execution as a removal of an irksome problem by dispassionate super beings, then you can save yourself a whole lot of modeling of the different species. Even drawing them and popping them onto single polys with an alpha is going to be a lot of work.

I do like the idea though Maybe make one of the humans a different colour, this is a global site.

10 October 2004
Just on a nuts and bolts level, now is the time to nail your composition- you might try bringing the humans into the foreground- they are the centerpiece after all. Composition can be a tough nut to crack- I'd say take a look at Frank Frazetta's work since he did a number of images of couples in peril. Also, this would allow you to possibly only suggest the crowds rather than fill up a large piece of your image with them.
Your idea reminds me of the original "Planet of the Apes", which had a real creepy and alien feel about it.

10 October 2004
Stoat - thanks for your input. So by 'technologically more advanced' do you mean the machinery they're using to kill off the humans is too 'low tech' - or do you mean in the appearance of the species itself?? I also can't see how I could save myself the modelling of the different species exactly, I'm a little confused (unless you mean I'd only have to model one species??).... the idea that they were a problem being removed is roughly where I was going, but are you suggesting removing the crowd from the scene? I'm just a little unclear that's all. If you could clarify what you meant that would be great, thanks.

Ebrowning - Yeah, composition is a realy tough thing to crack, and I was pretty certain I wouldn't get it first time. Thanks for the suggestion of looking at Frank Frazetta's work, I did a quick search on the net and his work is really quite disturbing, and I can see how this can relate to my work. I will deffinately do some more thorough research, and see if I get any inspiration. Thanks for the comments.

10 October 2004
very interesting concept you got here! congratulations, If you don't mind I will suggest, some things.

1) since those 2 fellows are the last 2 in the whole universe (humans) , instead of having them separally not looking at each other, you can put them in a "hugging" possition, like showing compation to each other, like they are REALLY,REALLY sorry.

2)Also I think you should add some sort of Cathedral look to the stadium "the walls and all the surrounding"

Can you show a line art of your sketch?

By the way, Great start and keep the good work!

-Cheers!

Thread Closed share thread