Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Grant Regan

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Grant Regan

Grant Regan has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Interstices - Living Ships

This is an idea that I probably won't take any further, however I thought I'd include the roughs here and get people's thoughts. I will probably progress with the original idea of great cities in flight (I hope to have the line-art finalised by the weekend), and I'll include a human element within the image. I'm working one a few preliminary comps for this at the moment...

In the meantime the premise behind these roughs is a design for a species of bio-engineered, living ships. Created by a people who avoid, where possible, mechanical and inanimate solutions, and who believe it's their duty to seed the universe with life, they voluntarily adapt themselves to new worlds and new challenges through gene engineering, creating biological diversity where possible.

A select group have over time, geneered themselves for interstellar travel. They are the vessels by which interstellar travel is achieved. Known as the Aruik-al or Farseers, they are highly revered by all.

The concept I've been pondering for this is the moment when a certain Aruik-al, Narosse successfully fold the fabric of space, making the great interstellar jump that is sung of by all Aruik-al and their descendants for millenia.

It's just an idea....

::: unit - concept art, illustration & design :::

:: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite ::

10 October 2004
I just hope with all the work I have, that I find the time for this challenge, but I'm kicking myself for not entering the last one.

Good luck to everyone.

Grant

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Cities in Flight - rough 01

Hey people,

Just toying with ideas and compositions which convey a monumental and epic quality, and a sense of high drama, which are some of the core ingredients of a grand space opera imho.

Here is the first in a number of conceptual roughs I'm going to submit as I explore and crystallise the ideas I'm toying with.

The general theme I'm going with here with is an ancient mass migration which has passed into the realms of legend and myth. The working title is 'Cities in Flight', after the novel by James Blish. Beyond this title, the concept bears no resemblence to the book however - it just seemed fitting as I want to convey a massive migration of vast cities...

More to follow...

Cheers
Grant

10 October 2004
Nice sketch! (used Wacom I assume, I want it too! :( )

10 October 2004
Cheers El Toro, Actually it's a pen and marker sketch, quickly touched up in Pshop - thatis, adjusting some of the values which I may have overworked in the original sketch...

10 October 2004
Great sketching and concept, I especially like the extra space in the upper canvas where you can depict the surrounding planets

10 October 2004
Cheers guys for your +ive comments. I hope to have another few roughs on the thread over the next few days, but right now it's time for bed.

-g

10 October 2004
Yes! You've entered
And...damn, I was thinking of having massive ships trail off in my next sketch too, lol!
Looking forward to more of that CZ scale you had

Wiro

10 October 2004
Nice concept... there's a real sense of scale!!

SO where are the cities going...? And why...?

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by unitstudio: Cheers El Toro, Actually it's a pen and marker sketch, quickly touched up in Pshop - thatis, adjusting some of the values which I may have overworked in the original sketch...
Really?! Cool! Atm I'm mostly practissing sketching and drawing. I'm not very good at that. But since I want to become an architect I think it will be handy in the future.
And I really like your style of sketching, some advice for me maybe?

10 October 2004
Good luck El Toro with becoming an architect. I too wanted to be an architect but somehow ended up concepting for the games industry, which i don't mind given i don't have the constraints imposed by reality

First, i tend to do some quick thumbs (literally the size of a thumb) to determine overall composition and massing, as well as athe vanishing points. This piece has two point perspective. Then using a mid-tone marker (say a Copic C4 or Prismacolor Cool Gray @ 40%, i flesh out the forms referring back to the thumb, putting down the preliminary areas of value. Once satisfied, I begin marking and blocking out the forms and rudimentary details with a drafting pen. Last, using a darker tone marker (C6 or Prismacolor Cool Gray 60% for example) I begin to block in shadows and areas that are recessed, being mindful of the balance and composition of the overall piece. phew...

Wiro - you know me, the more epic the better. Really I can't help myself. Re, the massive ships trailing off, it's a fairly common theme - I certainly don't have a monopoly on the idea. Look forward to seeing what you produce.

duddlebug - I haven't fleshed out the story too much, and probably won't given that I want it to have the sense of being a tale that has been passed down over the millenia...

THE BACKSTORY...
The general premise is that the people of a certain planet, Liitaea, despite their differences, collectively hold a common legend or myth that they originated elsewhere and came to Liitaea in the bellies of vast motile cities that seeded the world they now call home.

Their original homeworld Eerea was grossly overpopulated - its surface almost completely covered by a vast city, many kilometres in depth (a nod to Asimov's Foundation series here). Legend has it that Liitaea's three moons, Gaia, Oraete, and Iirtya (also the names of 3 goddesses in ancient Liitaean beliefs) had been terraformed to serve as Eerea's food bowl...literally thousands of freighters plying the routes every day just to feed the teeming billions.

As a means of alleviating the overpopulation it was decided by the high council that great polii would be contructed and dispatched out in the hope of finding new worlds to populate. All told a third of the population were selected to undertake the journey, the city-sized seedships to venture out in every direction in the hope of finding suitable worlds.

For the Liitaeans, the location of their homeworld or whether in fact Eerea is it's actual name given that it is the root word for 'mother' in many of Liitaea's languages is unknown, and many have come to doubt whether the story has any real basis in fact, citing evidence that the Liitaeans are indigenous to their world.

Last edited by unitstudio : 10 October 2004 at 06:50 AM.

10 October 2004
Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind.

10 October 2004
The scetch is nice. It looks very monumental but keep in mind to add something dramatic just to get a nice balance between the surroundig and the action.

keep up, buddy

10 October 2004
Great first sketch! You get a real sense of scale and massiveness.

I like your idea of an exodus to another planet and the fact that those that have migrated arnt sure if it really happened. Sounds like a beliveable (distant) future to me.

Good Luck, Im gonna keep an eye on this thread.

Thread Closed share thread