CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVI - Grand Space Opera - 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-19-2004, 07:54 AM   #1
DanielWalsh

portfolio
Daniel Walsh
Post Production and Visual Effects
University of Teesside
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DanielWalsh
Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Daniel Walsh

I am new to this forum malarky, so I guess I'm a complete newbie. A few questions for you forum veterans:
When i try to start a new thread, why am i told i can't? I just get this message:
monkeyboy1982, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
And why can't I post new messages in my own thread? only replies? Is it just because i've never posted before?

Well, anyway, hope someone can clear this up for me. I think I'm just being a bit thick.

Can't wait to start my ideas, and posting them proper. Please give as much criticism (hopefully constructive) as you like, it'll help me in the long run.

Last edited by DanielWalsh : 10-20-2004 at 01:02 PM. Reason: To add a little info for those who look through this thread

Old 10-20-2004, 04:13 PM   #2
DanielWalsh

portfolio
Daniel Walsh
University of Teesside

Concept:

I've had a few ideas floating about in my head, and this seems to be the most promising:

Most of the universe useful energy comes from stars, such as our sun. Without the sun we would not exist, nor would any other life on our planet, or our planet at all. My concept focuses on stars as the main source for all energy, and the greed of one advanced alien species trying to take and filter the energy of stars for their own benefit.

This species of alien lives among other species in a binary star solar system. Each species having their own planet to call home. The idea is that the greedy alien species have already built a gargantuous sphere of solar panels around the smaller of the two stars, leaving a gap for light to reach their own planet (the gap follows the orbit of their planet). A war has ensued between the alien species. The greedy species is by far the most technologically advanced, but are far outnumberd by the other species who have allied in order to defeat their greedy neighbours. The greedy species have started to build an array of solar panelling around the second, larger sun, and the other species are trying to prevent them from completing using massive war ships and the like. Their are also huge space creatures that the allied species have tamed and trained to be used as war creatures. (Much as the corinthians did with elephants)

My picture is going to depict the suns, one that has been entireley surrounded, and one that the greedy species are building around. It is going to show the battles taking place between the allies and the greedy species. The allies being the aggresors trying to stop the completion of the second Solar panel sphere, and the greedy species defending their workers and builder ships as they construct. It is going to depict the planets that all the species live on, and, somehow, it's going to depict the species themselves...

I don't know if i am aiming a bit too high in the modelling stakes, as this is my first competition entry, but wish me luck anyway.

Good luck to all those entering this competition, and make sure you all have fun.

Old 10-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
madshooter
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Roshan Lohani
Sr. 3d Environment Artist
Lightning Fish Games
Pune, India

Send a message via MSN to madshooter Send a message via Yahoo to madshooter
Well nice concept. Original.
If you are trying to post any images just click on the link which you might have recieved in
your e-mail. It is pretty simple.

My art blog

Old 10-22-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
DanielWalsh

portfolio
Daniel Walsh
University of Teesside

Cheers

Thanks for the tip MadShooter, just working on some concept imagery right now, so should be posted early next week. Though it is the weekend, so there's some drinking to be done

Old 10-27-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
Virtuoso
Lord of the posts
take a quess
USA

Hey Daniel...........................I'll be looking for you.Your story will make a nice Space Opera.I wish you the best.Until later..................

Old 01-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread