Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Galen Beals

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #1
Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Galen Beals

Galen Beals has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

Old 10 October 2004   #2
Woops! Need to get on this as soon as possable...

Old 10 October 2004   #3
Welcome and good luck!

Old 10 October 2004   #4
Concept Sketch: Loose Concept sketch

This is a simple photoshop sketch. The idea is that you see what the woman in the window is reacting to as a reflection in the glass...

Old 10 October 2004   #5
Concept Sketch: Another Sketch

Here's the ship that is the model for the ones that in the image above...

Old 10 October 2004   #6
Ok so there's some images of what I have planned. I'm still not sure I like the composition just yet. I think I'll wind up making the bridge of the ship a lot larger in the end and there's probably going to be more people there as well.

The idea is that this woman is a captive on an enemy ship and must watch the destruction of her world but can do nothing about it. It's really going to come down to the expressions on the faces. I want them to do the story telling. I also want it to sort of lead you to your own conclusions. I had originally thought of not saying anything about the concept and just letting people come up with there own ideas about the image.

I'm pretty busy right now so I may not have time to update in a while. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

-=GB=-

Old 10 October 2004   #7
Lightbulb ok!

I think it looks nice idea, but i still think that when you tell the history, people come to understand and don´t feel so "flying" in the scene. You created an history yet, why don´t you tell all the history so? Like why the war happened, what mede the the woman can´t do anything to help, what would she do now? and there are any chance to save the planet? How could it happens...things like this. The scene, i think will be very cool! but well, you may decide about the history. Good luck! Hope to see upgrades soon!
azhhael@azhhael.com
Animarus Collective
www.animarus.com
animarus@animarus.com

Old 10 October 2004   #8
Well, I'm not sure if I'm capable of doing all that in a single image but I'll keep all that in mind. Thanks for the comments.

-=GB=-

Old 10 October 2004   #9
Crap! I just looked at this and realized it's the same as that scene from Star Wars where Princess Lea is on the Death Star and they Blow up Alderan... Crap.

Well, back to the drawing board.

-=GB=-

Old 10 October 2004   #10
Originally Posted by ngrava: Crap! I just looked at this and realized it's the same as that scene from Star Wars where Princess Lea is on the Death Star and they Blow up Alderan... Crap.

Well, back to the drawing board.

-=GB=-

Agreed with that, with no story behind it could be mistaken for something like that, that would be shame because the sketches show promise of a good scene.

And as i now experiencing myself, i am working on a short background story (it is already filling 2 A4's) and with the development of the story more iconic moments arise from it, my first idea of an iconic moment in the space opera is a remote idea at best by now, there are more moments in the story that could make a good iconic moment.

You still have plenty of time, so take some time to create a background story, it will add to your final scene.

Old 11 November 2004   #11
Thanks RobertJ, This is exactly what I'm runnin into myself. Well, It's good to have so much time I guess.

Old 01 January 2006   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread