Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Michael Crawford

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #1
Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Michael Crawford

Michael Crawford has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Lighting: Plasma Experiments - Part 4C

Last one in the series, so you can all breathe a sigh of relief. ;-) Yeah, I finally worked out the kinks and feel reasonably satisfied with this compromise approach that doesn't completely cover up the plasma but avoids some of the other render headaches. More importantly, this design should enable me to get the glow I want for the inside of the domes without any unfortunate "side effects." Whew!

Old 10 October 2004   #2
Concept Sketch: The Waterhole

Ever since the Age of First Contact, the twelve species which had signed the first Interstellar Trade Alliance had sought a means of shortening the enormous travel-time between planets. That day finally came with the development of Jump Gate technology, and the construction of the first Waterholes: transportation hubs that would usher in a new era for the species of the Trade Alliance.

My mission: to develop a scene built around the completion of the first operational Waterhole -- a time of celebration and anticipation of the great discoveries just around the corner. The concept sketch I've submitted is a starting point: an attempt to arrive at a "look" for the actual Waterhole jump gate. I plan to build an immense space port / engineering facility around this, and perhaps show a delegation assembled in one part of the Waterhole, toasting their accomplishment and watching the first starships line up to make the inaugural jump. More sketches to come as I hone this idea.

Old 10 October 2004   #3
hi man, this is nice sketch, you know the whole idea is good but for my suggestion may be making (perspective changes) that ring come quarter way behind camera (Close up shot) and the planet near it goes bit behind, i only see this may be you have better thing going in your mind.
good work so far.

Old 10 October 2004   #4
Concept Sketch: "The Waterhole" - Sketch 2

Making gradual progress. I've been bouncing back and forth between working on basic modeling tasks -- doing a lot of experimenting on how to put together an intricate and complex space station without going over the triangle limit that crashes mental ray. As I get a better sense of what I can -- and can't -- do, I'll use that to refine concept sketches until I arrive at something that seems both "doable" and interesting enough that I can at least hope to get a portfolio piece out of the process. At the moment, the sketches are rough (to say the least!) and probably a far cry from where I'll end up ... but I guess that's the nature of the process.

Old 10 October 2004   #5
I can't believe noone has posted any crit... This idea rocks, and the concepts look great! If the final image is even as half as good this will be one great image!!! Keep it up! and good luck!

Old 10 October 2004   #6
Designer2: Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm testing out a lot of different perspectives in my 3D app, and will almost certainly end up with the final render being from an observation deck on the Waterhole Alpha space port -- a vantage which should provide a good view of the jump gate itself.

Old 10 October 2004   #7
Borro: Thanks! I hope I can pull off the gate itself. I've wanted to try something like this since renting a copy of the Hellboy DVD; that transdimensional gateway at the beginning of the film was just awesome (and around 100 separate composite layers -- yow!).

Old 10 October 2004   #8
good idea, i think should find a better view, more dynamic, may be near the gate.
well, it's just an idea.

all the best.
David.

Old 10 October 2004   #9
Modeling: The Waterhole

Hope to get some real progress posted tonight. The image on the right gave me the kind of "proof of concept" reassurance I needed to get going on the Kahir ship -- one of the twelve species who have come together to launch the first interstellar jump gate. And don't worry: the modeling will get a *lot* more complex, though I tend to make shaders and displacement maps do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Old 10 October 2004   #10
Modeling: The Waterhole - Kahir Scout Ship

More progress. Will post some shader tests of the assembled ship shortly.

Old 10 October 2004   #11
love the concepts.. very originals

Good Luck

Best Regards,
Tiago

Old 10 October 2004   #12
Modeling: The Waterhole - "Kahir Scout Ship"

Not quite what I intended, so it's back to the drawing board to try to get the "skin" right. The version on the left is *closest* to having the translucent effect right, but no cigar. The others ... well, they help prevent the spread of venereal disease on Neptune, but ... :-(

Old 10 October 2004   #13
great concept, I like the yellow lighting that you have thr. Your greebles look really cool ;p

cheers m8

THE HEIST // SPECTACULAR 3D
WISH LIST // MASTER AND SERVANT CHALLENGE

Old 10 October 2004   #14
Thumbs up

Really, really like what you're doing here! The ships are awesome.

will keep an eye on this thread for sure - keep it going!

my space opera

Old 10 October 2004   #15
ah i recognise that xyz icon a fellow xsi'r for sure. It looks like you are forging ahead with your modeling and seem confident you have the right scene. my only concern here is that the dynamics of your image might not be clear enough from the concept sketch. eg I am unsure of how the 'gate' functions, it seems to have a protective shield around it and im not quite certain how the larger alien ships are to get in and out of this gateway or wether they are meant to or not. For sure it is a spectacular idea and concept! I would just like to see more workings of the composition and perhaps the gate in mid use or something.

Also if you are going to be putting a lot of polygons in the surrounding city scene, you should not concern yourself with reaching a MR limit, render in passes and seperate elements which will allow you to reach your limit per pass and layer them together afterwards. This way you will reach your limit x how many seperate passes you render.

Personally I have not entertained the idea of starting modelling in 3d until I feel as though the composition is nailed, which im still struggling on mine. I feel if you have put a lot of effort into modelling/ texturing something then you are less likely to drop it for an alternative or 'better' idea of doing it along he way. but you seem confident enough. good luck!

Thread Closed share thread