Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jose Pardo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jose Pardo

Jose Pardo has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Final Image

Thanks again to all for your help and suggestions, and all the kind comments. Good Luck to all and much health and happiness in the new year.

Jose

Massive update to my site, tons of new art!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Roy Batty, replicant.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: untitled

Hello All,

Best of luck to everyone! Here is my first concept sketches and storyline:

The two races had been battling for control of the galaxy for generations. Yet like the ebb and flow of tides upon the sand, each side would conquer and yield the same planets time after time. They had become so engrossed in their own struggle that they failed to notice the advances in weapons technology by the neutral third major race on the galaxy. Finally, in the midst of an epic battle the "neutral" race unleashed a weapon the likes of which had not been seen before in the galaxy. It would utterly destroy the armadas of the warring races and force the survivors into slavery for millenniums to come.

I look forward to comments, and thanks in advance.

Jose

Roy Batty, replicant.

10 October 2004
welcome to the fray!

im already seeing great potential in this. the composition is great so far, and the eye is being directed to the explosion in the background. my only concern is (and this may just be something ive stuck in my head) is that the image overall appears to be split straight down the middle. best way to fix this i think is to just keep playing with alternate layouts. hope this helps!

Pete

10 October 2004
wow characters, so many are making nice characters.. and I can't do them. It's wise to use them, you can express so much emotion through them. Composition seems good in your first one.

10 October 2004
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. You guys are fast I just posted this a little while ago!

Roy Batty, replicant.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: revised composition

I decided to change my original compositon since I did not have enough space (no pun intended) to fit in all the ships and fighters that I feel are needed for a "Grand" Space Opera. The iconic "hanging" planet in the bkgd is of course a "city planet" completely covered with buildings. I think I wil have a lot of fun painting the transition from day to night on the planet.

The third party to join the war is doing it through a worm hole (the smudge on the lower right hand side from which the beam that is destroying the two ships will be coming from.

Roy Batty, replicant.

Last edited by MoonVisionStudio : 10 October 2004 at 03:46 AM.

10 October 2004
hrm. the first composition worked better for the characters, but i think the may be mostly due to the fact that the woman is looking more at the battle in the background, and is hence more involved in it and overall plays a more integral role in the scene. and watch the curves of the planet and the ground at the bottom - make sure they dont 'frame' the battle in the background.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: fighter concept sketch

I really struggled with this one. I wanted it different from the long look of the attacking space crusiers. I doodled and doodled and looked at tons of inspiration until I finally came accross a photo of the old telstar satellite. I struggled with it because it had to make sense in my warped mind how this craft would maneuver best in space and I fe.t a circular craft with 5 propulsion jets would be best. Well I am not a rocket scientist but it makes sense to me.

Roy Batty, replicant.

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Color sketch

First color sketch.

Roy Batty, replicant.

11 November 2004
Its great to see your concept progressing. Just a slight suggestion of adding small dots representing stars around the black space areas could add depth and more dimensions. Then again you probably have already thought about it but haven't just came around doing it. Keep up the great work and good luck.

11 November 2004
More explosions...awesome!!! I really like the way the colors are coming along...VIVID. It has that old comic book feel to it... nice!!

11 November 2004
im assuming the mysterious 3rd party is the green laser and the wormhole? if thats the case, it doesnt stand out enough. it may just be a scale thing.
but yeah, the colours are looking great, keep going!

11 November 2004
Thanks to all,

Believe it or not I am still not sure about this composition. I am just too impatient. I may sketch some more tonight, if I come up with a better composition I will post it. If not I wil go with the last one.

Roy Batty, replicant.

11 November 2004
I like this composition, but the wormhole doesn't seem grand enough. Maybe if it had tendrils of energy spilling out of it, or ripples of some kind. Also, I think it would be neat to see a hint of some kind of battleshipt just beginning to emerge from the wormhole.

Just a suggestion. Looking forward to the finished piece.

Thread Closed share thread