Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-15-2004, 12:05 AM   #1
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.
Sheffield, United Kingdom

c4d portal may close

what do you guys think about this...seems sad if it has to close down.

Quote:
Telnoi admin @ 14 October 2004 11:46pm
Quote:
It's over folks.

It has been a nice journey and I hope we've been a helpful resource for all of you. Due to recent developments and busy personal life I simply cannot continue running this site and sadly enough I haven't been able to fulfill some of the promises made in the past, such as: creating a gallery, resolving all mac issues, reviews etc.

In short, current resources simply won't allow me to run a decent portal that is kept up2date.

Solutions to keep c4dportal running.
  • A real hosting company. The current server is again maxed out, even though I have installed routers and software to speed up the loading times of this portal, it simply won't run as well as it would on a professional server with 100 mbit connection. Replying to a post takes awfully long and it is frustrating even for me. This is probably due to the router installed, but taking that offline is not an option due to security issues.
  • Someone replacing me as admin. I have a study to finish and do not have the time to create tutorials, or even coordinate things among several admins. I need someone who has the time and is willing to spend allot of it in order to keep the portal update. Someone who can coordinate other admins and who will be instructed in portal management. Slouchcorp doesn't have loads of time neither, so someone who is as experienced would be needed to keep c4dportal up2date with tutorials etc. It seems we've both hit our limits and need two good folks to replace or supplement us.
Some of these things were requested before, but the situation wasn't as desperate as it is now. If a solution isn't found, C4DPortal WILL close in one month.

Henry Moore

Old 10-15-2004, 12:12 AM   #2
Stray
Kung Fu Hippy

portfolio
Daniel Montenegro Ford Montenegro
Illustrator/cg artist
Hayward, USA

What's all this now? I talk with Mike over there all the time. This is the first i have heard of it. Hopefully they can fins someone to step up and run things for them..

-Danny

Old 10-15-2004, 12:38 AM   #3
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.
Sheffield, United Kingdom

kinda what i was thinking...those guys have done a great job and its a great resourse..seems crazy to loose something like that

Henry Moore

Old 10-15-2004, 12:47 AM   #4
danb
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Daniel Bacchiocchi
3D Artist
USA

Send a message via MSN to danb
Oh man that's the worst. I visit C4dPortal almost as much as CGTalk.com.

I am willing to help out at all. I am not as experienced as the others mentioned but, I guess if any little bit helps that's better than nothing right?

Old 10-15-2004, 12:57 AM   #5
Kalab
deader than fried chicken

That's really too bad. Maybe c4dcafe.com or 3dattack.net could take it over and merge it into one larger C4D community. Lots of usefull resources over there.

-CINEMA 4D-R9.102 XL Bundle, WinXP, 1GB, Athalon 64 3200+ 2.2ghz, XFX 6800 GT

Old 10-15-2004, 01:35 AM   #6
InTheCity
Lord of the posts

USA

Send a message via MSN to InTheCity
Real sad, hope there's something they can do.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:06 AM   #7
c4dportal
Frequenter
Bernd Zweverink
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray
What's all this now? I talk with Mike over there all the time. This is the first i have heard of it. Hopefully they can fins someone to step up and run things for them..

-Danny

Thing is Mike and I have discussed the faith of c4dportal for over a month now and kept stretching the final verdict and kept changing plans.

-The current server isn't keeping it together.
-frustratingly slow at times, replying takes to a post takes ages, and we are losing members because of that.
-Study is becoming a real pressure. I've got one day for myself in a whole week.

The sollution is fairly simple..someone has to come up with a server sollution. I've searched and tried out several hosts that offered help, but none of them lived up to their promises. One had limited bandwidth and set me at work creating video tutorials for him which i didn't have too much time for to begin with. The second offer never replied, even when being online on msn.

If a hosting sollution isn't found, joining up with attack and/or c4dcafe would be the best choice imo. Currently resources are scattered across all these boards and i've wondered why it would not be a great idea to combine these. C4DPortal has become too small (admin wise and member wise) to keep it challenging as it is now.

Ideas and sggestions welcome.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:27 AM   #8
squidinc
3D invertebrate

portfolio
Mike Robinson
IT something or other..
Rhyl, United Kingdom

how much bandwidth a month is c4dportal using?

Old 10-15-2004, 09:00 AM   #9
c4dportal
Frequenter
Bernd Zweverink
Germany

The bandwidth used by video tutorials etc. ins't an issue and the current server can handle that perfectly.

The core of the site has to be hosted somewhere else, because the database backend is asking too much resources of the current server, so we need a fast server that can take over.

Full site bandwidth usage:
around 30 gb a month when new video tutorials are released and with the resource section (free models etc).

I can't tell how much bandwidth would be used if someone decides to host the basic asp portal with the resources and video tutorials still on the old server, but it would be allot less .

We can always try for a month and if it's too much, we will move on..no questions asked.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:13 AM   #10
danb
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Daniel Bacchiocchi
3D Artist
USA

Send a message via MSN to danb
Are you looking for a free service? The provider i have seems to have a lot of nice options. It was recommended by someone in this forum. The providor is 1&1.com. I was looking last night on their website at different options and i think i remember seeing something like 50gb of bandwidth for $7-$15, i think. I never have a problem with them. Granted i only use it for my measily little website. They seem pretty reputable though. I hope you find someone. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:23 AM   #11
c4dportal
Frequenter
Bernd Zweverink
Germany

It has to be a free server yes.

We aren't making any money out of it all and it has always been a goal to keep c4dportal free of advertisements, subscriptions and other things that I hate personally. I'm still a student and can't afford the kind of expensive hosting this portal would need.

Old 10-15-2004, 03:54 PM   #12
jkirk01
Frequenter

J Kirk
Jack of all trades
USA

Potential Resource

Hi Folks,

What are the system requirements for the site? I have acquired a colo server and may be willing to host this. I am a fairly new c4d user although I have been tinkering in 3D since the Amiga days. My occupation is network administration, security, and infrastructure so I know what I am getting into. My motivation is to be more involved in the C4D community other than a learning lurker. I feel that being directly involved would facilitate my growth with the app and I can also put my other, more honed talents to use at the same time. So, anyone, let me know your thoughts and perhaps we can resurrect C4D Portal. BTW, I have 500 GB allocated monthly bandwidth at a very large ISP.

Old 10-15-2004, 04:55 PM   #13
c4dportal
Frequenter
Bernd Zweverink
Germany

cpu at least amd 2 ghz or faster due to mssql server. It really requires allot of cpu power, especially when a new video tutorial is released and the resource section and forum is under constant visitor hits .

512 mb ram would be sufficient

5 gb storage to keep us going for while to come.

software:
windows 2003/asp.net/iis 6.0/.
Cdosys, aspupload component.

Mssql database:
Currently 100 mb.

Requirements can be discussed and evaluated of course. As I said, I can still use the old server for file storage. It would even be possible to work with an external mssql database only.

Let me know asap if you think this can be done or if you want to discuss matters online through msn.

Last edited by c4dportal : 10-15-2004 at 05:18 PM.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:29 PM   #14
jkirk01
Frequenter

J Kirk
Jack of all trades
USA

c4dportal,

I sent you a private message with the tools here. Let's discuss...

Jeff

Old 10-16-2004, 02:01 PM   #15
c4dportal
Frequenter
Bernd Zweverink
Germany

Doomsday will have to wait,

Thank you all for the support you have shown.
C4DPortal was in desperate need of professional hosting, and thanks to Andy K. we have found it. This will ensure the continuation of C4DPortal and improvement of the site's performance.

Further more, we have had several offers from people wanting to become admin and who are interested in writing tutorials and helping out with the moderation of the forum.

We now have enough resources to do the following:
  • increase resources (downloads, links etc.)
  • write more tutorials, perhaps even 1 a week or more.
  • create commented video tutorials
  • regular news item updates
  • some more things that cannot be discussed openly yet
Hopefully the portal will be transfered soon. Andy K. is looking into several hosting solutions.

Thread Closed share thread