Above and Beyond - Vehicle/Character - Apt Pupil -

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are all the images posted on this thread showing properly?
Yes, all the time!! 20 86.96%
More than 50% of the time. 3 13.04%
Less than 50% of the time. 0 0%
Never. You had better switch hosts, your current host sucks!! 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2002   #1
Above and Beyond - Vehicle/Character - Apt Pupil -

Ok, this time I am going to start by finishing the 2d section first(not like last time) *blush* I am going to enter all three catagories of this challenge, and another contest somewhere else simultanously (see my concept there for a 3000 poly model - click here - ).

Here is what I have so far in terms of sketches, otherwise, I am in the process of finalizing the lines(I'll show that soon) and then I will organize them into an interesting composition.

Comments and Critiques are always more then appriciated

Fredrik Hultqvist
- Online portfolio: - Magicswithin - <-- Now Under Construction
- My Cgchallenge Gallery: - Apt Pupil -
- Email: - me -

Last edited by Apt Pupil : 08 August 2002 at 03:59 AM.

Old 08 August 2002   #2
hi ....great concept....wanna do that in 3d too...hush....ya got too much time?....geeh...just keep your stuff up and us updated

Old 08 August 2002   #3
schmu_20mol --> Thanks

Well, I finished the cockpit, now working on the close up of the tool shed area.

Fredrik Hultqvist

Old 08 August 2002   #4
finished the top shed

Fredrik Hultqvist

Old 08 August 2002   #5
Man you are a workhorse. Are you going for color here as well?
And then you are going to model it also? Hats off to you, brother?

But then again, reflecting on your past challenge, this should be a piece of cake. Until you have to texture it.

Good luck.

Low - Poly Batman in Maya

Tiamat - The World Dragon (Maquette)

Online Tutorial: Character Rigging for Maya

Last edited by dmcgrath : 08 August 2002 at 01:22 AM.

Old 08 August 2002   #6
Ok, I finally worked a little on my 2d entry. I started with one of the most crappiest sketches and I transfered the idea to 3d to get a good angle. Now I am in the process of building it up.

But basically, it will be a dark scene and to the right, there are going to be . . . well, I will show that when I get there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2dbeyond01.jpg (30.1 KB, 211 views)

Fredrik Hultqvist

Old 08 August 2002   #7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2dbeyond02.jpg (19.0 KB, 206 views)

Fredrik Hultqvist

Old 08 August 2002   #8
[Edit = Banished supposed final date. I think I will work on both my 3d entry and 2d entry simultanously, hence progress will slow down here again ]

Otherwise, this is a new method of working for me (from black and white to color) and it should prove very interesting. I still have many things to add, but in the end, it should look 'very' cluttered.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2dbeyond03.jpg (23.4 KB, 189 views)

Fredrik Hultqvist

Last edited by Apt Pupil : 08 August 2002 at 03:04 AM.

Old 08 August 2002   #9
Cool Cool!!

Yeah, that's a good way to have a good angle!
Really good Apt Pupil!!
Can't wait to see it with colors!

Old 08 August 2002   #10
I started the coloring There is now only two items missing (excluding the technical drawing which I will overlay the table sheet with in the end). But, it's getting there. . .

Art7sayan --> Thanks, some colors are coming up Otherwise, hey, nice website you got there!! . . . and it's a little late, but happy birthday You certainly have a very promising career ahead of you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2dbeyond04.jpg (38.2 KB, 178 views)

Fredrik Hultqvist

Old 08 August 2002   #11
Coming really nicely Apt Pupil

Old 08 August 2002   #12
Ok, this is the last one for today, Tomorow, I'll finish adding in the technical skematic, the highlights from the glow, and maybe, I am not sure, but I will add a thing or two more

Thanks M@

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2dbeyond05.jpg (42.9 KB, 168 views)

Fredrik Hultqvist

Old 08 August 2002   #13
This is probably very close to the final, however, I am not sure.

Comments and critiques would be Most welcome.

Do you think it's to colorful, to textury, or is something else needed?? I am kind of blind to it at the moment

Fredrik Hultqvist

Old 08 August 2002   #14
a friend suggested the yellow welding glows look magical and are emanating from the graph, I will have to create a large yellow glow on the right to correct this originating problem.

Also, it looks like it's in a bedroom like it's a drawing table, hence wood shavings or work tools will have to be added as well to correct this.

If any one should have any other comments or helpfull hints, for the love of god, tell me

Fredrik Hultqvist

Last edited by Apt Pupil : 08 August 2002 at 07:55 PM.

Old 08 August 2002   #15
I was having a hard time understanding the sparks until I read your comments. To me they looked like they were coming from the pencil. I think probably because they seem to radiate out from that area, when they should be radiating outward from the source. Welding sparks would probably not bounce that much either ... so I'd get rid of those extra ones on the highset arc.

I like the set and don't think it looks anything like a bedroom. Definately a workshop of some sort. Although I would have probably put fewer pencils and brushes in the cup. Maybe a small wrench or screwdriver in there would give it a more shop-like feeling. And maybe some extra hardware scattered around on the table (nuts, bolts, screws, nails, etc.).

Lastly, a welder/grinder/whatever that produces that much sparks would probably put off a bit of light. You should reflect that light on some of your objects (especially the metallic ones).

I've been watching you develop this for awhile, but you really lost me when you started creating your tabletop setting. It looks good now that it's all come together. Just a bit a refinement here and there is all it needs now.

share thread