|10-11-2004, 02:21 AM||#1|
Washington DC, USA
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Workflow
Ok in order to clear the air, I have decided to post a series of threads
where ideas on how to improve Lightwave can be posted in an organized fashion.
The idea is to provide an one stop place where developers (from Newtek, or independent)can come in and get ideas.
This thread along with its sister threads:
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Character Animation
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Dynamics
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Effects
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Layout
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Modeling
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Rendering
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: SDK and plug-in development
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Interoperability with other apps
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Workflow
HOW TO IMPROVE LIGHTWAVE: Expressions
..will be used to provide input on ho to move Lightwave back into the forefront of CG graphics.
But in order to keep things positive (glass half full), and make it something
worth while, there are some rules for this thread:
1) STAY ON TOPIC:
Please dont provide rants, just provide your ideas.
2) NO BASHING:
No bashing Lightwave or any other app. I mean it.
If new research is pointed out, please provide links to it.
4) PROVIDE EXAMPLES:
Show us real life examples on how your idea would help you.
Please along with your comment, provide suggestions of how to
implement the concept or idea on the workflow. Workflow is one of the
things that make Lightwave what it is.
6) KEEP IT POSITIVE
The can do attitude is what made this community once great, cynicism is
killing it. Someone once told me "Optimism is an act of defiance".
PS Ill post the other threads later today.
LW FREE MODELS:FOR REAL Home Anatomy Thread
FXWARS:Daily Sketch Forum:HCR Modeling
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government
Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 10-18-2004 at 09:07 PM.
|10-11-2004, 06:49 AM||#2|
This IS a cow
Illustrator, Comic book artist, Storyteller
Join Date: Mar 2003
one of the first things to do to improve Lw workflow, is to organize better the UI. Lw 8 is not bad on this field, some things has been made, but here a couple of things to address :
1) pls, put in rendering option panel, all things related to rendering : AA, resolution and more. camera properties should be there, as a nested panel or something. or, even better u could duplicate those options to have at your disposal into 2 different places : rendering options amd camera properties too.
2) pls make plugs and shaders list consistent ! make Lw list them automatically in alphabetical order. plus 'i'd suggest a scrollbar on these often long lists so that we can choose plugs and shaders easily.
3) another little but annoying (for me) thing why the heck i have to go in the left lower area of modeler UI to deselect things with LMB ? i'd put the option to click on the viewport, or even better to click on bars wich separate viewports (some user couldn't like clicking on viewport.)no, don't tell me to use the keyboard shortcut, ok?
4) give us a better layer editor in modeler. be inspired by Photoshop way to manage layers with all the options it provides, plus give us good options to rename and number multiple layers and grops of layers, just as it happens to be in the great skelegon editor. pls do it!!
5) minor but important for final users let us easily store configs without the -c trick. just give us a panel from wich save and load configs, all things done automatically by the app.
6) do as above for all UI colors. give us options for them, and while u're here give us font UI options as well. possibility to store layouts (here workflow improvement returns, because users will be happy to use different UI layouts to work more confortable) and change them on the fly.
7) if u want to go sci-fi, give us weight maps painting for CA in layout. so rigging will work better, all in layout. great workflow improvement.
there are alot of things to suggest but i have no time so that's all for now.
Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
.::Creating for you::.
Last edited by Nemoid : 10-11-2004 at 06:59 AM.
|10-11-2004, 08:21 AM||#4|
Lord of the posts
I've always enjoyed using Lightwave as two separate applications, until the day came where I had a cloud of points for a plane to fly through. How can you easily identify and delete/move individual points that are in the way of the plane's flight-path in Layout? Solve this connundrum and that would go a long way to improving Lightwave's workflow.
|10-11-2004, 09:24 AM||#5|
Are we there yet?portfolio
Marco Antonio Peixoto
A few Keys here and there
Join Date: Oct 2002
- Sil3 -
|10-11-2004, 09:45 AM||#6|
I'd like better layer management in modeler and would love to see some form of grouping in Layout, where you can assign settings (status, visibility, expressions, modifiers, etc) to the group master, and all children would inherit the setting.
Last edited by evenflcw : 10-11-2004 at 09:51 AM.
|10-11-2004, 03:23 PM||#7|
Rabid pitbull Studios
Join Date: Dec 2001
Totally agree, this would make 90% of lightwaves issues disappear. Come on newtek rewrite LW9!!!
|10-12-2004, 01:21 AM||#8|
Lord of the posts
Thanks evenflcw, I'm using 7.5d though and it's still a bit of a workaround.
|10-15-2004, 01:49 AM||#9|
Join Date: Sep 2003
· move the Parent in place to motion panel.
· remove the lw_rla and deluxe rla from the output coz they don't work. replace them with the RLA/RPF extented from the image process.
· Add a "Load Image" in "Image World"
· Replace the "additionnal" and "generic" with a plugin searcher that can find all plugin and tool (third party or internal) like a google search with case sensitive.
· merge the camera panel and the render options panel... i mean give the possibility to setup all data for a render in one panel.
· load all internal plugin automaticly when installing Lightwave.
· setup default config to something more actual (segment memory, Grid AA, etc...)
· Undo for all, not only move/cale/rotate (undo in texture editor, undo after delete object,etc..)
· possibility to setup all color of the interface. (Like 7.x and less) I mean actually Backdrop color in Hub.cfg don't affect the tool bar color and the panel color.
· a more readable highlight a selection (light lw5.6 or Modo, more orange than light yellow)
· a better look Interface... (lot of unfinished detail, lot of unused space, chaotic feeling cause of boundingbox around text, etc...)
· It actually hard to slide a gradient marker to 100%, everytime 98.32%... u have to edit manually...
· force Alert Message or Info Message to be on top of Lightwave. Then we can close it with keyboard and don't have to click it before.
· Work in Progress bar for all... then we now when lightwave is really freezed.
· Stop the content directory madness and remember directory separately for plugins, mesh, image, etc...
· Group in Curent Item list! sometimes i must scroll a so big item list...
· Possibility to adjust the size of all panel from everywhere, not only bottom right like new scene editor...
· maybe more...( maybe i'm wrong on some parts, please tell me)
Last edited by tais : 04-02-2005 at 05:49 PM.
|10-30-2004, 08:21 PM||#12|
Join Date: Oct 2002
This is going to sound controversial but-
I strongly recommend merging the .LWO and .LWS file formats into one unified format. So you could put points and polygons into "scene" files and keyframes and expressions into "object" files. LW started heading in this direction when they made object layers appear in Layout as independent items. This is the logical conclusion. It would help my workflow tremendously. This doesn't mean unifying Layout and Modeler; you could keep them separate, just unify the file formats.
|10-31-2004, 08:48 PM||#13|
Here and there
Join Date: Oct 2002
I agree, basically integration becomes necessary now...
My suggestion is that, optionnally, LW's integration should be in a way similar to what can be found in CAD programs. When you want to edit an object, you double click on it and that is fine, a new window pops up and you work in another environment.
Splinecage the place to go
Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
|11-01-2004, 12:08 AM||#14|
Have LW, will travel.....
1. Make ALL popups have basic filtering functions. Right now its extremely painful to deal with long lists of items. The surface editor has some basic filtering functions.
2. Everything that can be changed should have an E and T button next to it.
3. Surfacing between standard surfaces and HVs should be the same. The same presets should be interchangeable.
4. Gradients should have the same input parameters no matter where theyre applied
5. Weight maps should have the same affect no matter where theyre applied. Weight maps do differnet things depending on where theyre applied. Consistancy!!
6. Have expressions available in only one place instead of 3 (GE, motion panel, displacement tab). Make the expressions work when they see the channel theyre referenceing appear rather then stick those ridiculous >> << signs in the expression. It makes it a pain to fix them. Relativity seems to handle this just fine. If you set up some expressions and the items or channels arent there they dont care. They start to work when those items or channels are loaded into the scene.
7. Displacements should all be available in the same place. Right now they are in the object properties panel or you have textured displacement, normal displacement and bump displacement - Consistancy again
8. Shadow options should be available in one panel. Right now you have 3 places where you have to change things to get shadows to work properly - Render panel, Light panel and object properties panel. This makes it hard for newbies to figure out and a pain to try and remember.
9. Get rid of bones. Any object should be able to be a bone. The same with lights. Let any object be a light source.
10. All motion or channel modifier should have the ability to be locally or globally applied and adjusted. A great example of this is IKBooster. You can easily apply settings to an item, all items, child items or parent items. I should be able to do so with things like follower. Let me be able to apply follower to an item or multiple items and apply offsets and so forth based on the beginning and end of my selections. This should work in the Graph Editor as well
11. Allow all motion modifiers and expressions to properly work with and see IK.
13. Easily copy motions between items or heirarchies
14. Improve the HUB so that large objects or objects with lots of VMaps dont bog down or crash LW.
15. Make it possible to easily manually keyframe items that have expressions or modifiers attached to them.
15. Control panels that can be easily customised for things like facial controls, item selecting and so on.
16. Fix selection sets so that the ones in the classic scene editor and the new dopesheet see each other. Make them reloadable when loading from scene or just reloading the same scene.
17. Allow basic modeling functions in layout
18. Allow Point Level Animation and allow the points to show up in the GE individually or in groups.
More to come....
|11-01-2004, 09:19 AM||#15|
2D compositor at Walt Disney
Join Date: Jan 2002
building on what you said Splinegod...
beef up the scene editor to include a bird's eye view of the light assignments and shadow assignments. We use this at the studio I work at in Maya.
So SplineGod, imagine you have an interior scene with five characters. the plan is to light them individually (for control) and the backround. So yes, you would get like 3 to 5 lights per character and then say five for the background. So we are talking about 30 lights.
As I recall it I would have to open the light properties and scrol the tab to each light and make my changes.
How about a Light Express menu? It would be user configurable. So say you want to have the light color, intensity ( a multiplyer basically), cone and penumbra angles (if a spot light) accessable at once for ALL lights.. with a user tabbed menu so that you can assign tabs to each character so that the List of lights wouldn't get so long. Selectin the light in the list would enable it to be edited in layout. A handy tool as well is a short cut button to view through the light.
Next would be the light and shadow assignment.. basically a list of all of the lights on one side and the surfaces in another, grouped by object. you select the lights on one side and the surfaces, or whole objects or groups, that get affected by it. Shadows would get their own listing, with the geometry side allowing for the self shadowing to be enabled.
I'm tired, I'll post more later...
|Thread Closed share thread|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|