WIP: It's a head but then what?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #1
WIP: It's a head but then what?

A new WIP inspired by the zoombies in DOOM 3 and some images I had in my head. I'm still in the texturing process (will fix the lips, for instance) but I have no idea what to do with him once it's done. Should I give him a body? Should I give him an environment? Have no idea.

Modeled in 8.5 (except the teeth wich are DAZ - I still can't model good looking teeth!) and textured using BP 2, Photoshop 6 and lots of photos from 3d.sk.

And if anyone know how to UV-edit a nose so the texture doesn't strecth, please let me know!

/Anders

Old 10 October 2004   #2
nice flab

and yes the textures are as always fantastic, although they look bit softish at the end of his nose.

Old 10 October 2004   #3
great looking head!!!
just the eyes are to much glossy and the curve between the lips and the chin is a little extreme.....

Watch My Journey Challange Entry

Old 10 October 2004   #4
awsome.
yeah give him a body. a giant mechanical tick body.

Last edited by manfriday : 10 October 2004 at 04:51 PM.

Old 10 October 2004   #5
Howdy,

Nice texture! Maybe you could attach the head to a short stubby worm body? Or, a mechanical base with some hover jets?

Yep, noses are tough. The only thing I can think of is to make the transition as gradual as possible, or detach the UV's and make sure the seam is blended well.

Adios,
Cactus Dan

cactus3d.com, cactus3d-Plugins, CD Character Plugins forum

Old 10 October 2004   #6
flabby body to go with him would be a look learning curve i would imagine in terms of topology etc...its whether you want to go that way i guess.
the textures are sweet so far bud..dunno why but the eyelids look to thin...sounds crazy i guess. also under the lips the skin fold is very thin there also.
are you still going for fatty zombies from doom or is it another approach...because you could keep him with the horror genre i guess...dirty Y-front underwear..and a baseball bat maybe..with a strange bride...kinda horror homage to jabba the hut and princess leia and doom zombies. or you could go for a horror food theme or something..dunno..absolutely no idea..looks good so far though.

Henry Moore

Old 10 October 2004   #7
Originally Posted by flingster: dirty Y-front underwear..and a baseball bat maybe

sounds like Homer

Old 10 October 2004   #8
Thank you guys!

His facial flab is a bit exaggerated, I know, but it is deliberate as I wanted him to look almost grosse in some respect. As I said I have some trouble with the texture on his nose, giving it that soft and smeared appearance, but I don't really know how to solve it. Catus Dan's suggestion about detaching the UV's was something I played around with yesterday as I figured that a separate map for the nose (with an alpha channel to blend) would solve it but I never could get it right. Might give it another go tomorrow, though.

About the body: I was thinking like The Flingster and maybe do a big fat zombie like body (complete with dirty underwear ) but all this talk about a mechanical body or base sounds tempting as well!

Hmmm, will have to sleep on it, I think.

I'm attaching a wire of the mesh.

/Anders

Old 10 October 2004   #9
If you want to finish it quickly you could have him submerged in a vat or pool of some sort, like a mud bath with just his head and maybe hands appearing.

Good modeling as always Cartesius.

all the best

Alan

Old 10 October 2004   #10
very good model and texturing. would look even better rendered with GI and perhaps a touch of SSS I think.

Old 10 October 2004   #11
Alan, that actually gives me an idea! I have this scenario I've been wanting to try out for a long time and as it involves a man, a bathtub and trees (don't ask...) so this would be a perfect opportunity for it!

rendermania: I have only tried a quick and dirty GI render so far but haven't decided wheteher I should use it or not. The SSS has been doodled with, though. Need to doodle some more to get good result but I will probably use SSS to some extent for the final render.

/Anders

Old 10 October 2004   #12
Here's the quick (1 min 36 sec) radiosity render I mentioned above. Only colour maps so far.

/Anders

Old 10 October 2004   #13
The first thing I can imagine when I saw the picture is Doom, then I read the words, yeah, it is!
Great model and nice texture!

Old 10 October 2004   #14
OK, I'm going with Alan's idea about submerging him in liquid and have started the body modeling. Ignore the arms for now

/Anders

Old 10 October 2004   #15
Originally Posted by Cartesius: OK, I'm going with Alan's idea about submerging him in liquid

may I suggest beer

Thread Closed share thread