Add a single point to a polygon?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #1
Add a single point to a polygon?

I can't seem to find a way to add a single point to a polygon like I can do int lightwave. Is this tool midding, or and I just not finding it? Right now I've been using the cut tool to cut the polygon in half, then deleting the edge and the point that I don't want, but this isn't a very efficient way of doing this.

Old 10 October 2004   #2
i dont find to i just found the edge slice (C) and split polygon (crtl+l) and i use loop slice to (alt+c) to make something with just one point is just pen .. but pen just make one face ;\ if some one know i need to know to .. hugs

Old 10 October 2004   #3
Add a single point to a poly

I believe what you are looking for is under the "mesh edit" tab on the left side. Using Edge Slice or "C". First select the edge you want and then do edge slice to add your point

Old 10 October 2004   #4
Wow. This definitely needs to go in the feature requests list. Point Snap, Curve/Edge Snap, Mesh Snap, and a way to add a single point in the center of a triangle. The Pen tool should be able to edit polygons directly like this.

Sorry I cant help you guy's. I couldn't find the answer using the ways I would normally do it in Maya.

Old 10 October 2004   #5
It's there. It's edge slice. Just select an edge (you may not even have to do this) and click edge slice (c - i think). In the tool options turn off 'spit polygon' and 'middle of polygon(?) - not in front of modo but this option turns of the auto center of edge). Then click away, little blue points will appear. You can later select these points and then the 'split polygon' command to joint them up if you want.

of course you can probably make a tool out of these settings, put it on your tool bar and call it 'add points'. Just like LW

-Greg

Originally Posted by Sbowling: I can't seem to find a way to add a single point to a polygon like I can do int lightwave. Is this tool midding, or and I just not finding it? Right now I've been using the cut tool to cut the polygon in half, then deleting the edge and the point that I don't want, but this isn't a very efficient way of doing this.

Old 10 October 2004   #6
Originally Posted by leuey: It's there. It's edge slice. Just select an edge (you may not even have to do this) and click edge slice (c - i think). In the tool options turn off 'spit polygon' and 'middle of polygon(?) - not in front of modo but this option turns of the auto center of edge). Then click away, little blue points will appear. You can later select these points and then the 'split polygon' command to joint them up if you want.

of course you can probably make a tool out of these settings, put it on your tool bar and call it 'add points'. Just like LW

-Greg

So I was using all along, but with the wrong settings. I didn't think they would leave out a tool as important as that. I am going to need to create another tool, so I don't have to change the settings every time I need it.

Thanks!

Old 10 October 2004   #7
I still think the snapping is a must have feature, but I'm glad there is a way to accomplish what you were intending. What about adding a Point in the center of a face?

Old 10 October 2004   #8
Spikey w/ 0 offset (offset? I think, man I need to read my cgtalk on the same computer as Modo, this is getting tedious). Anyway, spikey will do it. Again, make/rename your own tool (if you want).

once I have some time I'm going to go Pie menu crazy and upload some configs.

-Greg

Originally Posted by onlooker: I still think the snapping is a must have feature, but I'm glad there is a way to accomplish what you were intending. What about adding a Point in the center of a face?

Old 10 October 2004   #9
Again, I am glad a solution came through, but this seems like it is too many steps IMO to accomplish two things, and I think these could/should all be added to the pen tool.

Or a similar all in one Poly tool.

Last edited by onlooker : 10 October 2004 at 11:34 PM.

Old 01 January 2006   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread