Waiting for ? to buy Modo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

View Poll Results: Waiting for ? to buy Modo
A demo. 157 75.48%
A detailed feature list. 6 2.88%
More demo videos. 7 3.37%
Cash. 22 10.58%
Detailed reviews. 16 7.69%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2004
Waiting for ? to buy Modo

Thought I'd get a little poll going...

09 September 2004
Yep. Trying to decide between XSI|Foundation and Modo. Right now, just on the merits of the modeler alone, I have to go with XSI- there's nothing I've seen in the Modo videos that cannot be done in XSI plus it seems that XSI has a more complete set of polygonal modeling operations. People may exhort the workflow improvements but, really, what's stopping Softimage (or any other 3D software vendor) from implementing the same workflow shortcuts in the next update or release? Modo's saving grace is that they're a new company and as such, they're hungry for market share. In general, this would make them more receptive to user's suggestions on how to improve their product(s). All-in-all, although I find the vidoes, articles, and testimonials to be quite compelling, it's not enough for me to fork over $700.00 for an application that currently has a small marketshare by an unproven company. I need to work with it and be impressed on a first-person level before I'll buy it.

09 September 2004
a demo... Im suprized that people are buying it at all realy, i wouldent spend that amount of cash on somthing I havent tryed and tested.

unfortunalty i do not have that kind of disposable cash :(

Flickr

MDI Digital

09 September 2004
I find it hard to believe that a company which is new with a new product did not have a dem setup. But I am waiting on a demo as well. The company that I do web development for is looking at a 3d solution for packaging demos. I have been playing with LW for sometime now. BUt sounds like a tasty tid bit. But I cant recommed it until I try it. Please Luxo release a demo.

09 September 2004
The only way I'll buy Modo without a demo is if Lux will offer a free upgrade to the next version (doesn't matter if it's just for the modeler, i.e. sans Nexus). I've been a early adopter before and have gotten burned by it more often than not, hence my pensive attitiude.

09 September 2004
I'd have the money together next month (Modo would be a bigger investment for me...), but I'm still waiting for some reviews, videos, etc. It'd be great to see Modo in action first, I'm not sure what it can/can't do. Cause of that, I think it'd be awesome if Luxology would make the training videos public - Pixologic did the same, with the Zbrush Practical Guide.

If Modo's really all about workflow, I'd love to see that on my own without first investing 700 bucks...

09 September 2004
Well, Wings3D is free, and unless this Modo will allow for 700 times the value of Wings3D then I just can't see what all the fuss is about...

So perhaps a feature list would be totaly inorder to better spell this out for us... and... yes indeed, a demo is a must... IMHO

09 September 2004
Yup demo, I wouldn't even consider spending that amout of cash without trying first.
I think the price needs to come down too, however good it is I don't believe it can be worth more than C4d base app or XSI foundation!
If Nexus comes out with Modo built in at a similar price to Lightwave (as people are speculating) it would probably be a bargain, but with the price of high end 3d apps dropping the way they are I feel this app is waaay overpriced! :o(

09 September 2004
Maybe you forgot one option in your poll?
I'm pretty sure there are many people who are just waiting for Nexus.

I also think it would have been better to have a multichoice type poll.

Inspiration sources : http://www.louisfabien.fr - paintings

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by mushroomgod: a demo... Im suprized that people are buying it at all realy, i wouldent spend that amount of cash on somthing I havent tryed and tested.

In absolute agreement

09 September 2004
maybe you can add "student prices" to the poll. BUT i already wrote to luxology and the answer from the sales team was:

Quote:
We do not offer single copy educational pricing at this time, but we
will be offering educational site licences.

a pitty...

Martin

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by mushroomgod: a demo... Im suprized that people are buying it at all realy, i wouldent spend that amount of cash on somthing I havent tryed and tested.

unfortunalty i do not have that kind of disposable cash :(
agreed
i voted for a demo too.
lets hope its not too long til we all see one
heres to waiting
monsieurblack

www.3DBuzz.com
Super Duper Moderator™ | Law Enforcer | SuperHero | Spam Filter

09 September 2004
I hope that theres a demo out before the introduction price has finished (60 days)

Flickr

MDI Digital

09 September 2004
Yep, no demo'ing= no purchasing.

Listen: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

09 September 2004
Maybe you should have added "not waiting, already bought Modo" to get an accurate number.

Thread Closed share thread