CGTalk > Software > The Foundry Modo
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-18-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
Hullbr3ach
Frequenter

Linux version

As it says on the Lux website, 98% of the code are platform independent. So, when is the Linux version coming out?

Old 09-19-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
hairy_llama
Veteran

Good question

Old 09-19-2004, 03:53 AM   #3
Dion Burgoyne
QA Manager, Luxology LLC

QA Manager for Luxology

We're actually looking into the possibility of a Linux version, but at the moment, modo is on Apple and PC

Old 09-19-2004, 05:03 AM   #4
MunCHeR
What light?

Turkey Farmer

Send a message via ICQ to MunCHeR
WOOT WOOT, now I'm getting even more excited (if thats possible)

MunCH

An erection doesn't count as "Personal Growth"

Old 09-21-2004, 07:18 AM   #5
Sha_Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Burgoyne
We're actually looking into the possibility of a Linux version, but at the moment, modo is on Apple and PC

Sound good since Linux is ALSO on PC

Old 09-24-2004, 02:44 PM   #6
MayaPT
Veteran

junior newbbie

Hi,

This is only my opinion so don't get mad at me, but i think any 3d software trying to implement itself in the highend 3d software market must have a linux version of their products.

Of course there are several good 3d applications that run exclusively on Windows and Mac (like
3D Max, Cinema4d and Lightwave) but let's see it like this, modo is a subd modeler so it's main application will be organic modeling. Organic modeling will more likely than not be animated and used for tv or film and most film and tv studios will probably have some linux pipeline.

Probably i'm totally wrong, but as i said it's just my opinion, so PLEASE think about it. The linux 3D community is counting on you guys.

-MayaPT

Old 09-24-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
Para
I'm a member too!

Esko Suomi
Helsinki, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaPT
This is only my opinion so don't get mad at me, but i think any 3d software trying to implement itself in the highend 3d software market must have a linux version of their products.

By the way, since you seem to be capable of answering this, which professional 3D/compositing programs do have Linux version at the moment? I know this is a bit off-topic but I think it's one thing that's important to know also to Luxology since if there's no other apps in Linux, there isn't a pipeline to fit into with modo and no need for it.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:11 PM   #8
MrPG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Burgoyne

dont sound too confident ? This mean its not a on a list of priorities at this point? Which means it'll be a while? :(

not to sour the success and progress of modo, it looks really cool, i've always been a big fan of brad and the lightwave team and a new luxology fan boi. The luxo team seems to be full of innovative minds and are really enthusiastic about their stuff and the direction they're heading and that passion carries over to an obviously fast growing equally enthusiastic community, that was something i always admired about lightwave, their user base was strong.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:23 PM   #9
lightwolf
obfuscated SDK hacker

portfolio
Michael Wolf
jack-of-all-trades
db&w / wicked images
Germany

Send a message via ICQ to lightwolf Send a message via MSN to lightwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Para
By the way, since you seem to be capable of answering this, which professional 3D/compositing programs do have Linux version at the moment?

Well, you didn't ask me but what the heck:
Compositing: Nuke, Shake, probably DF soon, for retouching CinePaint.
3D: Maya, XSI, renderman, mental ray, Houdini and I guess you can count in Blender as well .
There might be more, but these were the first one that came to my mind.

Cheers,
Mike

Ad:
Plugins for LightWave 3D: infiniMap - exrTrader - shaderMeister

Old 09-24-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
MrPG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para
... since if there's no other apps in Linux, there isn't a pipeline to fit into with modo and no need for it...
^ now thats crazy talk

couple other cool tools to check out

the good guys @ www.ifx.com

Piranha

the full featured compositing, editing, paint and effects package for film, HDTV, and video. available for SGI and Linux.

and

Amazon Paint & 3d paint (good stuff, solid intergration to the big 3d apps with *nix flavors, xsi/houdini/maya)

the 16 bit per channel professional paint and 3D paint system for film, HDTV, video and graphic arts. available for SGI and Linux.

Last edited by MrPG : 09-24-2004 at 07:42 PM.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:36 PM   #11
MayaPT
Veteran

junior newbbie

Quote:
... which professional 3D/compositing programs do have Linux version at the moment?
I guess you have some answers by now, leaving the "mainstream" 3d apps you can also count with:

Animation/MoCap:
Mokey, Kaydara MotionBuilder (since Alias bought it i suppose the linux versions are not at risk).

camera/motion tracking:
boujou; icarus; 3d equalizer; MatchMover; Pftrack; voodoo

compositing/editing:
it seems discreet have a smoke 6 linux version too and upcoming 6.5 also

As you see it seems linux is not all that poor OS that some rich OS company owners try to make of it. There are a lot of tools and many times a lot of really good ones for free. Hope this was of any help.

-MayaPT

Old 09-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #12
Para
I'm a member too!

Esko Suomi
Helsinki, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaPT
As you see it seems linux is not all that poor OS that some rich OS company owners try to make of it. There are a lot of tools and many times a lot of really good ones for free. Hope this was of any help.

Trying to ignore your obviously biased comments is hard but yeah, that helped. Now I know what's available to that Minix clone that was originated from here

Old 09-24-2004, 08:47 PM   #13
MayaPT
Veteran

junior newbbie

hehe,

I must admit i am very partial in this discussion, i must apologize if that comment sounded too harsh but, although i think this is not the case in this thread, it's a little sad that so many ppl throw rocks at something they never tried.

I apologize as it was not a directed attack at noone. Cheers

-MayaPT

Old 09-24-2004, 11:28 PM   #14
carbon8
SplineCage

Practically anything digital!

Send a message via MSN to carbon8
I'll tell you what guys, if Modo was available for Linux, i wouldn't even think twice about dropping the bucks on it. I'm a longtime lightwaver, and i've pretty much been told that a linux port is not going to be in the works, so it's a no brainer. Go with what's available. If it weren't for my lightwave, i'd probably dump windows completely.

Hell, everything seems to run so much faster in Linux anyway. My P4 2.4 with 1gig of ram windows box takes longer to boot than my pII 450 with 256 megs of ram linux machine, and i optimize my windows machine at least twice a month with minimal startup apps.

PLEASE MODO JOJO...
Make a LINUX port!!

Old 09-24-2004, 11:59 PM   #15
MunCHeR
What light?

Turkey Farmer

Send a message via ICQ to MunCHeR
That would definately rock(modo on linux), just thought I'd mention it but wings3d runs really well on linux and its a pretty cool for an open source project, and if anyones listening from luxology a shell script installer (I think thats what its called) would be better than an rpm, just my 2 cents, would be nice not to have to boot into windows just to remember what its like rebooting a PC 20x a day(sarcasm, sorry I couldnt resist)

MunCH

An erection doesn't count as "Personal Growth"

Thread Closed share thread