Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-18-2004, 07:18 AM   #1
opus13
Feind hört mit

Misanthrope.
USA

why bother?

why does everyone feel compelled to post their half-finished noodlings in this forum?

it tedious looking down the list of posts and seeing people post nothing but unfinished/incomplete pieces, expecting some sort of praise or feedback. isnt that what the "work in progress" forum is for? i realize that this is the accepted behavior on the pixolator forums,as there was only one main bucket to toss posts in to, but if you look at any application specific foum on cgtalk you dont see 4 out of 5 posts being "whee! i made something in an hour! yay for me!" so far i have seen two completed images. two... and no, i havent looked at every single thing, its too boring.

if i didnt know any better: this forum demonstrates that it impossible to actually do anything with this program. its all half assed.

its gets in the way of anyone actually looking at this forum to learn something. if someone wants to look at unfinished items, they would click on the WIP section, not head into here.

out.

Old 09-18-2004, 09:21 AM   #2
JHarford
Realist

portfolio
Joseph Harford
Freelancer
United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to JHarford

check the bottom of the thread Hellman, for a non half finished image.
Theres a lot of finished work out there.
Designpicture.com, antropus.
Do your research a bit more next time,or quit joking

Last edited by Cgstripe : 09-18-2004 at 11:49 AM.

Old 09-18-2004, 11:00 AM   #3
Antropus
"It's a Puzzle!"

portfolio
Krishnamurti Costa
Senior Digital Modeler
ILM
San Francisco, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus13
if i didnt know any better: this forum demonstrates that it impossible to actually do anything with this program. its all half assed.
Looks like a joke

Cya,
Kris

Old 09-18-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
celmar
Know-it-All
portfolio
celmar marcel laverdet
illustrator
bievres, France

well, I don't speak a so good english that I would be able to understant if it's a joke... humor is more simple with woody allen... but I must say that I agree with opus... there are a lot of unfinished works; one thing is that I don't think it is linked to zbrush: since there are characters with arms horizontals on the different forums, they must be a whole incredible amount of animation... and since there are differents tests of caustics and so on, on "concept" something, contemporary design must be very very different..of course it's not.... so, maybe searching is a natural step... and on that question, zbrush is specific: as opus said, people on zbrush says often" modeled in one hour", or so... it's because it is very fast, like drawing on a paper with pencil; it doesn't mean that, when drawing, the lines are good, artistic, and smart... it just means that they are, oviously, fast... that's why, too, there are a lot of sculpted forms, which never goes further, on z forums... but it's true on all the softwares: with the exception of mechanical modelling, the modelled forms are the exact reflection of the level of drawing of the author!...

Old 09-18-2004, 12:42 PM   #5
pencil-head
computer says no

portfolio
Tristan Lock
3d Artist
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
it tedious looking down the list of posts and seeing people post nothing but unfinished/incomplete pieces, expecting some sort of praise or feedback. isnt that what the "work in progress" forum is for?
I agree with you on that one. I would rather see this forum used for sharing tips and techniques, not posting incomplete works.

Quote:
Very ignorant thing to say. Have you even used zbrush?

Old 09-18-2004, 02:57 PM   #6
marciani
Know-it-All
portfolio
Leonardo Panella
Rome, Italy

Hi all
i can't resist..........
me too i've an opinion about this topic:
Does'nt exist a simply rule overall, but in everywhere you need have some good sense (sorry for my english...).
This forum is more "professional" instead Pixolator Forum; like just said in Pixolator forum the critics and comment have too much honey around , i'm agree with opus, there must be a limit about which post here.
There are many levels of work in progress and truely is not necessary show all.
But..there is alwais a but, i've notice in my precedent post and generally a toughness toward all work made in Zbrush.
It's seems to me there is a rule here , where the judge often, is give not for the final impact of image, but for the technical difficult to do this; in this way we have not a good workflow beetwen our idea, but a war beetwen different medium.
Bye
Leo

Old 09-18-2004, 05:17 PM   #7
opus13
Feind hört mit

Misanthrope.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil_head
Very ignorant thing to say. Have you even used zbrush?

no, thats my point! i do know its possible to do excellent work with zbrush. i have used it myself, and know the applications potential.

my point is: IF i didnt know anything about the application and i started to browse this forum, i would be severely 'turned off' by the representative works that i see...

oh yeah, the hellman project was one of the two finished ones that i saw. im not joking.

Old 09-18-2004, 06:10 PM   #8
celmar
Know-it-All
portfolio
celmar marcel laverdet
illustrator
bievres, France

I understand that you are not joking... absolutely no problem on that... But I'm just curious: there are here, for a week's old forum, more finished pictures than on other, since much more time... don't matter, I don't care about that, each forum is going his own way, but I just try to understand what you think... on the question of the time of work Zbrushers says often, like : 2 hours or so on, it's just because it's involved in the zbrush process... zbrush is as simple than paper and pencil, or oil and brush, it's as fast , and at the end as complicated to know...

Old 09-18-2004, 09:20 PM   #9
plaguelord
Wireframe Mode

portfolio
Maximiliano Ricardo
CG Technical Artist
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I agree about the Finished Works and Wip forums, this forum should be use like all app forums, but, in other hand, its a real new forum, only a week or two. So, give it some time...

Antropus, please please remove that ugly croach from you avatar! I´ve fobia about that creatures and really scare me..
OT, I read your story on zbrush page, simply amazing, btw, you dont miss the bank? just joking lol

Old 09-19-2004, 12:21 AM   #10
NanoGator

portfolio
Brian Pace
Modeller, Scripter
Feature Film
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to NanoGator Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGator
I wouldn't draw the conclusion that it means finished work cannot be done with it.

Here's the simple reason: ZBrush is difficult to pick up and use when it comes to making these 3D models. Lots of experimentation needs to be done to master it and posting stuff for critique invites suggestions for improvement.

Old 09-19-2004, 03:37 AM   #11
roguenroll
concept / matte

Florida,
USA

half finished works don't bother me as much as sorting through threads that have nothing to do with zbrush. bigger waste of space IMO

an exchange of ideas and concepts is often not neatly packaged.

Old 09-19-2004, 07:28 AM   #12
aminuts
Veteran

Amen.....this forum is new.....Opus ya haven't even given the folks running it a chance to settle in.....and may I remind you as well.....this is a joint venture with Pixologic and CG so maybe the "rules" you are used to .....might not apply here 100%.

Pixologic's zbc forum is very big on helping folks...they have recently fixed things up so folks can find that help more efficiently....however....the underlying theme of ZBC....is the users. The user's there are some of the most helpful creative folks you will ever see at a forum whether it's about 3d or not.....and I believe that Pixologic has a vested interest in keeping anything to do with their product...like this forum.....in the same vein...friendly, courteous, and helpful. So.......

Yeah....it's gonna take more than a week and a half to establish things here.....especially in the same friendly, courteous, and ever so helpful manner that zbc set the standard for.

So.....give em a break....come back a bit later....perhaps after the dust settles and maybe things will be as You would like em to be.....no I don't work for em but I'd kill for em if the money was right! hahhaa. JK. maybe

Old 09-21-2004, 03:41 AM   #13
MrBook
Frequenter

portfolio
Jason Conrad
Chicago, USA

Quote:
my point is: IF i didnt know anything about the application and i started to browse this forum, i would be severely 'turned off' by the representative works that i see...

I, for one, have no experience with zbrush, know absolutely nothing about the application, and came to this forum with the express purpose of seeing some results. I'm actually impressed by what I see. The fact that some early adopters of ZB2 are getting decent results, even if they only work on a model for an hour or so, is really pretty encouraging. It shows that the learning curve isn't too steep.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:55 AM   #14
flingster
cinema fan

flingster.
Sheffield, United Kingdom

what are you guys talking about:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=168265

this is the point of this forum!

Quote:
PLEASE FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH THESE RULES BEFORE POSTING IN THE FORUM! It will make life easier for everyone.

1) The ZBrush forum at CGTalk is meant primarily for sharing finished images and WIPs, ZBrush tips and tricks, and general usage questions and answers

move on...

Henry Moore

Old 09-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #15
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
I think you are in the wrong forum and are looking for finished work. There are many examples of fine 3d compositions where the artist clearly states the use of ZB.

I guess you would post a wip here if it was specifically ZB related. I have commented on wip threads where I have asked how a specific effect was created, but then again I am genuinely interested in the application. Go over to the 3dMax forum and see how many wips are posted there to illustrate specific questions.

As far as your comment about the usefullness of this 'incredible' program: there is not a hair on my bald head that would contenplate gracing you with a reaction.

(Dang I just did react! Why do I do that?)

Last edited by Kanga : 09-22-2004 at 12:36 PM.

Thread Closed share thread