CGTalk > Software > Photoshop / Painter
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-14-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
that guy

Question tileable Painter paper textures

is there a way to get a tileable image of the paper textures in Painter, so they can be used as a bump map in other 3D apps?

Old 09-14-2004, 10:59 PM   #2
Jinbrown
A Corel Painter Lover

Jinny Brown
Painter Instructor, Tutorials, Demos, Painter Info, and Resources at PixelAlley. Support Painter users in Painter Community lists, boards, newsgroups and other Painter forums and graphics forums.
USA

Hi,

Unfortunately, it seems that Painter 8 Papers are based on rather small images. The two I tested were roughly 160 pixels square and roughly 200 pixels square. When using Apply Surface Texture on a 2000 x 2000 pixel Canvas, the edges are quite obvious.

If you treat an image as a Pattern, it can be edited to make it seamless then captured as a Paper, or if you scan something large enough, it may be an adequate size for your purposes.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
that guy

paper source

When you say that Painter 8 Papers are based on rather small images- how did you get to the original image? The 160x200 pixel size is fine, especially if it's tileable. I'm just trying to figure out how to isolate and capture the original tile image.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:58 PM   #4
that guy

Question isolating paper tile

How do I isolate a paper tile? I want to copy the original little paper texture image source into photoshop but can't figure out how to isolate it. The painter papers folder won't open to reveal individual jpeg files or whatever they are.
Any ideas?

Old 09-25-2004, 12:00 AM   #5
Jinbrown
A Corel Painter Lover

Jinny Brown
Painter Instructor, Tutorials, Demos, Painter Info, and Resources at PixelAlley. Support Painter users in Painter Community lists, boards, newsgroups and other Painter forums and graphics forums.
USA

I used Apply Surface Texture then used the Rectangular Selection tool to measure the Paper tiles from edge to edge. Some of them may be seamless but the couple I checked were not.

The Paper image is not available like the Pattern images are.

If you want tileable Papers, create your own by scanning something large enough or first creating a Pattern which can be edited to make it seamless, then capture it as a Paper.

I don't know the procedure for turning an image into a bump map for 3D programs but I would suppose if you do know the procedure, you can figure it out, maybe with the help of another program.

I'd think creating your own Papers would be the better option, rather than trying to use Painter's installed art materials.

Good luck,

Old 01-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread