real-time Hubble

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2004   #1
real-time Hubble

here is a real-time hubble i made in my free time. i'd say is about 99.99% done.

model took almost no time to make. textures took too much time to make

triangle count - 4930 (5,000 was my cap)
texture count - 3- 512x512 tga (1 1024x1024 was my cap)
solor panels, dishes, and telescope door moves.

i have screwed with the panels untill im blue in the face. going for a copper look, but i cant seem to get it to NOT look like wood i used several reference shots from the nasa site in addition to the high poly model thats for sale at turbo squid (i grabbed pics from everywhere ). this is not that model, but the back of mine was made to look like that one.

no reflections in the renders .... no lights either (except max default lighting)
this is just a plain jane max render with the background coming from the apollo scene thats included in max (hence only the sat. is moved and not the background )

have a look-see and as always, your comments are welcomed

the latest change made was to the telescope cover (door). i changed the texture to not look tiled (mirrored), you can see the difference 3rd image down from top.

http://www.cadster.barney3d.com/fil.../B-Hubble-0.jpg
this is bigger then the other images, so its a link

Last edited by CADster : 09 September 2004 at 10:25 PM. Reason: fixing spelling errors

Old 09 September 2004   #2
yea its good it seem like you have good idea but at somme place your texture seem more like a cigarette butch but maybe its just because of the texture resolution a 512 for a piece as big as that but still continu the great work its already better tan i can do^^

Old 09 September 2004   #3
Looks great, lots of nice detail across the surface I think the lack of realism in the colar panells must be down to the lack of specularity, they appear to be the correctly colour but without a sheen they just dont look metallic. Solar panels are often blue, perhaps this will work better.

Old 09 September 2004   #4
Originally Posted by Frank Dodd: Looks great, lots of nice detail across the surface I think the lack of realism in the colar panells must be down to the lack of specularity, they appear to be the correctly colour but without a sheen they just dont look metallic. Solar panels are often blue, perhaps this will work better.

thanks for the feedback guys. most solor panels are shown as being blue, but this is for the most part, a misconception (im guessing its just reflecting blue from the earth). the pics in space of the hubble shows copper looking panels unless its reflecting.. then its like a mirror.

i guess i should of added that these are the older panels. we just had a space flight to replace them with new, smaller panels. ill be drawing the newer panels as well on day.

the image style i was going for was the old painted style NASA use to use for its space promo shots.

Old 01 January 2006   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread