shape animation problem in v4

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2004
shape animation problem in v4

Hi Guys.

My problem is that ive created a shape clip for the bulging of a bicep and put in into the mixer. The mesh is enveloped to a bone chain. The shape key was created in the secondary shape animation construction node to preserve the envelope. When i slide the weight slider belonging to the clip in the mixer it works perfectly.

The problem is when i try and link the value of the slider to the rotation of the bone.
XSI wont allow me to move the slider - it just pops back to zero.

Very frustrating as it has worked for me in v3.5 so i know my method is correct.

Maybe its to do with the construction nodes i dont know.
This is the exact method bearing in mind that its just a test before i apply this method to my real character so im using a simple cylinder to represent the body.

created the cylinder - in modeling mode.

Created the bones and enveloped to the cylinder - animation mode.

Created the shape keys and placed them in the mixer - secondary shape mode

Everythings working fine up to here.

Tried to link the clip to the rotation of the bone - in both secondary and animation mode - the slider just pops back to zero.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hamz.

09 September 2004
I've had the same problem, word is that it's a bug... one of many in 4 that are being or have been fixed. Apparently a whole cunk of the core code was rewritten and a lot of things broke.

Uhh there was a wrokaround posted by rayfusion on another forum... i'll paste it here... i haven't tried it though... i just wanna wait till they fix it...

heres what rayfusion suggested... should work:

"about the mixer , i ran into some problems with it in v4, when linking a shape to an implicit , it would lock out the slider and would not let me set anymore "relative values" what i did is just moved my implicit and set it another rel.val at zero , then right click on the dibit and go to animation mixer and change one of the keys to 1/0 , change to linear interpolation and your done....im sure that was the same prob. you had..since i heard of several ppl running into this"

Blizzard Art Contest Entry

JesseIrvin.com

email me at: jesse@jesseirvin.com

09 September 2004
Hey bro

Cheers for the help - much apreciated.

All the best.

Hamz.

09 September 2004
ps - WIP is looking good.

Keep going.

Hamz

09 September 2004
No worries...

thanks for checking out the WIP too... but I must admit I'm a little embarassed, said I would be updating regularily but I haven't really touched it since.

anyway, hope that workaround is working for ya. best of luck!

Blizzard Art Contest Entry

JesseIrvin.com

email me at: jesse@jesseirvin.com

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread